Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is! After months collecting informations and things... i'm building my first "real" viv. I would say first serious one in fact.
I don't know how many gallon it is as i'm french (living in London, UK) i have no clue in those matters. excuse me for that!

So this tank was basically used for a turtle got it for a mouthfull of bread off a school. and converted it as a viv. I'm quite tempted to put tinc or azureus but still don't really know... would also love to put some really tiny newts inside but don't know if it can work (hoping for some advises..).

Dont really know by what to start to explain; but basically there's still loads of plants to go in (broms, orchids maybe), preparing a yogurt/moss mix tomorrow and gonna cover the clay background wiv it. Aswell ordered some flat mushrooms to make a kind of "stairs" around the pump "case" and a lil piece of Mangrose to put in the water part aswell as the aquatic plants....

if any questions (cause i'm not really detailed, it's late here right now!) here are the pics!

Gonna upload more step by step..

Step 2:

i've redone the waterfall earlier cause of a problem of backgroun takin water and fallin into it, so making it muddy; then changed the substrate (soon leaves on top), added a Begonia and an other pice of oak and added the mix of yogurt/moss (the white stains all over)! pix!

and here is the lil viv of my cuban girl waiting for a bigger house!

advices and opinions welcomed!!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Hey Delphine,how are you?:welcome:
kiddo if you are going for darts you will need leaves on the top of your substrate,lets start there,whats is it made of? Mate i think you will need something to stop all the leaves ending up in the water,its a great start,and i know you have more to do,think along the lines of more hiding places and more climbing frame,as much as you can give them these frogs will use it, before you get anyfurthur can you get to the pump thta works your water fall easy? I'll stop there,over to you :2thumb:
Stu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Delphine,how are you?:welcome:
kiddo if you are going for darts you will need leaves on the top of your substrate,lets start there,whats is it made of? Mate i think you will need something to stop all the leaves ending up in the water,its a great start,and i know you have more to do,think along the lines of more hiding places and more climbing frame,as much as you can give them these frogs will use it, before you get anyfurthur can you get to the pump thta works your water fall easy? I'll stop there,over to you :2thumb:
Stu
Hey Stu!
yeh as i wrote, I've changed the substrate twice, Now its a mix of orchid bark, coconut fiber and peat and i'm waiting for my order from Dartfrog - Everything for the Amphibian Keeper! i order magnolia leaves, and oak, more plants (few broms, some aquatic plants, moss), some canisters, bark and other stuff! ahhahha

i changed the pump cause the flow was too much, so use now the lil one that was in an old exoterra waterfall. now the flow is perfect and no more problem of background... by the way... do you know where i could buy some live moss in a fair quantity by any chance?

thanks

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
A good trick for moss, if it's for terrestrial growth. Get a nice big bag of live sphagnum, whizz it up in a blender, whizz in a bit of sphagnum peat, add water to make a sludge then smear it anywhere you want moss to grow. Then just keep it moist and well lit.

Another good moss for viv growth is weeping christmas moss. I get mine from Pro-aqua-Plant. Just unbunch it and springle the fronds where you want it.

Just to add, if you are still using that diddy light, don't count on decent growth.

Ade

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Hey Stu!
yeh as i wrote, I've changed the substrate twice, Now its a mix of orchid bark, coconut fiber and peat and i'm waiting for my order from Dartfrog - Everything for the Amphibian Keeper! i order magnolia leaves, and oak, more plants (few broms, some aquatic plants, moss), some canisters, bark and other stuff! ahhahha

i changed the pump cause the flow was too much, so use now the lil one that was in an old exoterra waterfall. now the flow is perfect and no more problem of background... by the way... do you know where i could buy some live moss in a fair quantity by any chance?

thanks
Well Ade's anwered your question mate so i'll go somewhere else get some dwarf white woodlice in there when you get the culture split it in two 1/2 for the viv half to keep going,and the same with some springtails,feed then in viv with a bit of readybreak and some tetramin fish food,and then stop before the frogs go in,these guys will keep you viv nice and clean and add some extra different food for your frogs,best of luck mate you'll love this
Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts