Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated got a CWD its 18months old got of a lad 30th december got it home after quite a long trip home set every thing up in the viv i got with him but took the fake rock wall out because it had worms living init and it smelled, got him a nice spot to bask and large tray for his water and dark place for him to get cooled off and spray it with water in mornings, only thing i dont no is how old the uv light is, got him some fat worms and locust like the last owner said he eats but he hasnt been intrested in eating anything was just wondering if it is normal because of the move witch i expect and if anyone has had the same experience as im have and how long it took your dragon to settle in? i no every dragon is different, was just after a bit of wizdom
thanks any advise is great

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
firs item needed is a new uv tube, then try the water dragon with crickets and dubia roaches, my water dragons love roaches. but i would sort the uv issue asap. make sure the feeder insects are gutloaded well :2thumb:
also make sure temps are correct so food can be digeted easily, and my dragons usually defacate in the water so daily changes are needed

rob

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,609 Posts
First thing I will say is that I don't keeep CWD. BUT I do know that UVb is essential for them so the first thing I would do is replace it. Then check that the temps in the viv are right. Having said that it can take a few days to a couple of weeks for a lizard to setttle into a new home and start eating properly.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Yup I agree with the above, as soon as uvb is offerd you will see a difference methinks.: victory:

I would personally go for a 10 or 12% tube on a reflector.

Other information.

What are the temperatures?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi thanks for all your answers, i have got him crickets and iv been feeding them up since i got them also got the powder to cover them in, tried it with and with out the powder, temps are 30-32 thats a tempter at the side of his basking light and at night it goes to about 26-28, the lad i got him off said that he poos in water not seen any yet but i have changed it a few times now, iv let him come out his viv when he has been scratching at the glass and he did settle on a towel on top of his viv one night and left him out and he didnt move from that spot all night but i have seen that people let them do that and i just hoped it mite help, going to get another uv light for him as well so thanks for that advice, the old one says 10.0 on it and is made by exo terra so shall i get the same or should i get a 12? going to try and avoid handling him as well see if that helps
also thanks for the advice that it could take a few weeks to settle and eat correctly that mite stop me worrying as much

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
hi thanks for all your answers, i have got him crickets and iv been feeding them up since i got them also got the powder to cover them in, tried it with and with out the powder, temps are 30-32 thats a tempter at the side of his basking light and at night it goes to about 26-28, the lad i got him off said that he poos in water not seen any yet but i have changed it a few times now, iv let him come out his viv when he has been scratching at the glass and he did settle on a towel on top of his viv one night and left him out and he didnt move from that spot all night but i have seen that people let them do that and i just hoped it mite help, going to get another uv light for him as well so thanks for that advice, the old one says 10.0 on it and is made by exo terra so shall i get the same or should i get a 12? going to try and avoid handling him as well see if that helps
also thanks for the advice that it could take a few weeks to settle and eat correctly that mite stop me worrying as much
Hello again :) with regards to feeding I try to offer my water dragons a variety of gut loaded insects.
My own feeding routine is basicly this, I feed as much to all 3 of my water dragons twice a day within a 10 minute period, if any escape from the forceps they get left in the enclosure for them to hunt down and to stimulate them which is great for mental health too, I just feed from the forceps to make sure they eat.
One day will be crickets, one day locusts, one day meal worms, one day crickets and wax worms, one day locusts and wax worms and also roaches. all gutloaded with veg, and dusted with nutrobal.
I also collect wild insects for my lot when the time of year permits, woodlice, catterpillars, earthworms,spiders etc

I also leave veg in the enclosure for them at all times, this serves two purposes, if any crickets jump off the forceps leaving only a leg behind it prevents the cricket annoying the water dragon. when it is not hungary, and the water dragons tuck in at it too.

I would say another 10% tube would be fine and a reflector beneficial but here are some considerations to take, arcadia have at the moment currently 12% tubes, this would be more beneficial to your water dragon, particularly if placed onto a reflector, the problem is you will need a new unit because the one you currently have won't work for it so you might end up paying more money, the new tubes last a year also whereas exo terra last 6 months so you do pay out alot of money to start with but you wull save money in the longrun?
The choice is yours.
Check this post out
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/716756-wood-branches-new-iggi-viv.html

I am sure John can give you his advice if you ask for it.
Your temperatures sound spot on, just keep trying and make sure he has access to a bathing area and he is misted to keep the humidity up.
Water dragons can poo in water but look at it this way, water dragons are arboreal, they climb trees and bushes, hardly are they going to climb down from the top of a tree just to take a poo in the water, unless they are already on the ground or near the water.

With him not eating that might be why you haven't seen any poo in the water but I would double check other areas of the viv because it isn't always the case.

It definately is best to leave him alone to settle and just go in to feed, water and mist him but thats it :)
: victory:

Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help got him a new bulb today see how that goes, i cleaned his water and viv out when i got home still couldnt see no poo but as stated if hes not eat there wont be any

1 - 9 of 9 Posts