Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your guys opinion is it possible to start keeping hots with Naja species? obviously if you can get the right experience or is it too risky given their speed etc?

if so what ones are good to start with? From your experience : victory:

·
Banned
128 Posts
There is no "starter" Naja species.

You can either deal with them or you cant.
I have to disagree with you there. There are definitely better species to start of with than others.

I would say it's much better to start off with some of the smaller species, N.siamensis, N.atra, N.nivea,H.haemachatus also N.naja and N.kaouthia.

Rather than starting off with something like Naja melanoleuca, which are known to be one of the hardest to cope with if they're in a strop.

I think it's a good idea to start with a youngster (if you decide to start with Naja), something under a year old. I wouldn't tail anything either until they're over 3ft.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have to disagree with you there. There are definitely better species to start of with than others.

I would say it's much better to start off with some of the smaller species, N.siamensis, N.atra, N.nivea,H.haemachatus also N.naja and N.kaouthia.

Rather than starting off with something like Naja melanoleuca, which are known to be one of the hardest to cope with if they're in a strop.

I think it's a good idea to start with a youngster (if you decide to start with Naja), something under a year old. I wouldn't tail anything either until they're over 3ft.
I agree. A variety of African cobras wouldn't make a good starter. N. haje and N. melanoleuca, stand out to me.

With adequate space, cobras such as N. nivea (yes I know is African), N. kaouthia, N. atra and n. Naja, are perfectly manageable.

In some respect, cobras can be easier to deal with than large pit vipers. I'd love to see some of you guys play with my psychotic B. atrox :)

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
My first Naja species was Kaouthia not my first venomous though I had kept a variety of vipers before that but with the kaothia it was basically forget what I had learned and start a fresh, not because she was anymore difficult to deal with just because it was toally different, in some ways easier because of the way she stood her ground

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the responses.

I had read in a few places that kaouthia was a good starting point for cobras, just wanted to know what else was considered suitable.

obviously wouldnt get one till after I've had quite a lot of experience with them, as to be honest id rather start with a cobra. Possibly a nivea or naja, do like the spitters like siamensis but not sure on the face full of venom even with goggle on lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.