Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the park yesterday and picked up a couple of lumps of wood that I think will be ok for a corn.

Doesn't look sappy but I'm not sure what it is ?

the bark is banded horizontially (sp) it's not a dense hard wood wither you can dig into it with your fingernail

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right o I'll take a plod tomorrow after the school run and find something else :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i would have said some sort of Birch, but i'm no alan titchmarsh.lol

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think its Birch, I found this description whilst looking through my preservation order book:

General: Birch Family (Betulaceae). Native shrubs and (less commonly) small trees growing to 10 m tall, thicket-forming, with open crowns. The bark is gray, reddish, or brown, thin and smooth, becoming broken into irregular plates, often with conspicuous whitish lenticels (spongy openings for gas exchange).

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Looks very much like the piece of wood I have in my royals viv. I picked it up from a selection of birth trees : victory:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Its birch. You can tell by the way the bark has thin peelings which curl off it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
be careful with getting wood from country parks. I got a few bits for my chameleon and found out i shouldn't really use them as they havn't been disinfected. The wood could be full of mites and they are a buger to get off any animal.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some nasties are capable of forming spores (outer shells) which protect them from freezing conditions. Others form spores that protect them from dessication or boiling conditions. I'm not sure if there is a nasty that is protected from all 3 which is why most people suggest that you bleach, boil, bake and freeze.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks like a Birch to me. Seems okay to use. Just boil it in bleach water, then boil it in normal water, and then let it cool down in icy water. Should sterilize it for your little buddy:smile:

PM me if you need to

1 - 17 of 17 Posts