Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of warning for everyone out there - its recently come to my attention that there are some Natterjacks being offered for sale in the UK by at least one shop. I believe they are not currently in stock, but have been offered as a species that can be sourced. Obviously it raises many questions, are they collected from the wild (in the UK or on the continent - both illegal), if they are captive bred can it be proved they are at least 3rd generation away from wild stock? This opens a mine field of questions, but needless to say, probably one definately worth staying away from.

Caution advised.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Legal specimens are available if you know where to look.
I keep Natterjacks myself that are of European origin purchased from a well known German breeder and I have previously kept some of British origin sourced from a well known British breeder.
There are hobyists here in the UK who keep & breed Natterjacks of British origin whos lines pre-date the legislation and are well known to Natural England.

Obviously anybody interested in owning Natterjacks would be wise to question their origin before purchasing, do their research, and only buy from a respectable source.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legal specimens are available if you know where to look.
I keep Natterjacks myself that are of European origin purchased from a well known German breeder and I have previously kept some of British origin sourced from a well known British breeder.
There are hobyists here in the UK who keep & breed Natterjacks of British origin whos lines pre-date the legislation and are well known to Natural England.

Obviously anybody interested in owning Natterjacks would be wise to question their origin before purchasing, do their research, and only buy from a respectable source.
Indeed, Andrew. I know breeders myself, probably the same ones.

But, please, please be careful when considering the purchase of this species! The responsibility of the transaction and the keeping of this species falls on the purchaser / keeper - if you cant prove legitimacy you are in trouble. Exactly why most dont enter this complicated minefield. Its bad enough with the "run of the mill" European species..............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts