Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I will soon be moving my Common Boa into the gift shop at work, and although her vivarium is nicely done I really want it looking natural.

could any one suggest any easy ways to make a natural jungle looking back drop/anybody who custom makes these? I have tried making a custom bath in the past which was a total disaster and never got finished, so if anybody has so easy fix tips it would be really appreciated. many thanks

Ross

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

I did this a year or so ago, and it was for a boa (although a B.c.c not a common, so slightly higher humidity) and it's kept really well! Instead of building the expanding foam and cork bark straight onto the back of the viv, I built them onto thin sheets of hardboard so that the whole display is removable in case it needs to be.

Couple of tips - to spread the silicone over the expanding foam in order to secure the eco-earth/plantation soil etc, get it nice and wet using either a knife dipped in water or spraying it; and make sure the eco-earth or whatever isn't completely dry, as it tends to adhere better with a slight dampness. You need to press it in really hard though!

You can get the moss, lichen, ground earth and so on from most model railway shops and most of them are non-toxic.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Instead of building the expanding foam and cork bark straight onto the back of the viv, I built them onto thin sheets of hardboard so that the whole display is removable in case it needs to be.
i do something simular....i place bin bags in the viv, then spray foam ontop of the bags,that way its exactly the right size. once cured it just peels of the bags: victory:

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
I done my first fake background with the help and advice of ch4dg a natural rock effect with expanding foam paint and then I varnished eco earth into various areas of it.

I had never done one before in my life and I actually suprised myself at how east it was!

I am hoping to do something similar for the water dragons soon again too.
:2thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts