Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a genuine Dakota rattlesnake rattle on a real leather thong. I can make the thong any length to suit the buyer. Obviously as the rattle is rings of dead skin it isn't heavy. If the buyer maybe wants a couple of metal or semi-precious beads added to increase the weight, I'm happy to do that for the additional cost of the beads.

The price includes postage.

I also have some rattlesnake vertebrae which can be made into a necklace if anyone is interested in that.

Here is the rattle necklace

And some 'mock-ups' using the vertebrae - these aren't completed necklaces just threaded to give an idea. Prices will vary for these.

Also earrings - using semi-precious agate

And semi-precious Blue Sitara

Attachments

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought them from a guy in Dakota to use to show children when I'm doing educational talks on snakes and explain (for instance) how thin the ribs are etc. I got lots of various rattlesnake stuff from him which I have in clear plastic boxes so the children can see them. This is just me using up the excess to cover the cost of buying them, as I'm just a volunteer at the wildlife centre and bought these with my own money, so there isn't a lot to sell.

He's a rattlesnake enthusiast and even sent me a copy of a book he co-wrote, which is a guide to snake identification in South Dakota for the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can the member who pm'd me about a rattle bracelet and phone charm, please pm me, cos I had to clear out my box and accidentally deleted your pm's. :blush:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it is in the photograph it's £5 posted out. If you want a few metal or maybe heavy Hematite black beads to help it to hang better it will be the price of the beads extra.

I have someone who has ordered one and am going to do a mock-up with some beads for them to see what they want. I can pm you the photo when I've done it for you to see if you want?

I'm up to my ears in hammock, tube and pouch orders at the minute but should have it sorted in a couple of days.

ETA: I've assumed you mean the rattlesnake rattle - if you mean the vertebrae necklace I would have to cost that out, as it depends on how many vertebrae I use, as they are more expensive than beads.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How sturdy if the rattle snake rattle? Its beautiful

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Id like the rattle snake rattle with beads please, can you please pm me your paypal addy? :)
Let me put something together and add up the extra cost for the beads and if you like it you can buy it and pay me then.

How sturdy if the rattle snake rattle? Its beautiful
Kinda hard to say - it is just rings of dried skin.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Kinda hard to say - it is just rings of dried skin.
I mean, does it feel really delicate, like a shed would? Or as delicate as say a feather? (ie. needs careful treatment, but isnt going to break for touching it)

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean, does it feel really delicate, like a shed would? Or as delicate as say a feather? (ie. needs careful treatment, but isnt going to break for touching it)
No, it's nothing like a shed, cos it's dried out skin, rather than shed and I wouldn't describe it as delicate as a feather, as you can fold the centre of a feather very easily.

It's hard dry rings of snakeskin, so fairly sturdy, obviously it wouldn't be good if it was stood on, cos I imagine it would crack, but to wear as a necklace it should be reasonably hardy.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
No, it's nothing like a shed, cos it's dried out skin, rather than shed and I wouldn't describe it as delicate as a feather, as you can fold the centre of a feather very easily.

It's hard dry rings of snakeskin, so fairly sturdy, obviously it wouldn't be good if it was stood on, cos I imagine it would crack, but to wear as a necklace it should be reasonably hardy.
Fantastic, if its not going to crumble if I look at it, im interested ^_^

If you can PM me you payment details, I would love one. Thank you.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to check and see how many I' ve got left and how many orders seem to have come through suddenly.

I'll get back to you. Unfortunately I don't have a 'workroom' and have to work on my dining table, so at the minute it's covered in material while I make up my hammock orders, then I can get out my jewellery stuff and see what I've got.

I'm sure I can do you one, but I'll need to check what orders I've received so far.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I'll have to check and see how many I' ve got left and how many orders seem to have come through suddenly.

I'll get back to you. Unfortunately I don't have a 'workroom' and have to work on my dining table, so at the minute it's covered in material while I make up my hammock orders, then I can get out my jewellery stuff and see what I've got.

I'm sure I can do you one, but I'll need to check what orders I've received so far.
Thats fine, I am in no rush. If you PM me once you know, I would really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK - a couple of mock-ups. Bear in mind that there needn't be beads at all, or there can be more if you want more - it's entirely up to whoever wants them.

This one is on the thickest leather I have which I think is maybe 2-3mm, which I think is most suitable for men. These metal beads are the only beads I have with holes big enough to thread on it though and I don't have many of them.

This is 1mm leather, smaller beads and smaller holes.

And the thinnest leather, which is ½mm leather and most suitable for women. The beads on this thread are semi-precious hematite, but the leather will also take the silver beads or a mix of both, or bigger or smaller hematite beads. It really depends on what buyers want.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts