Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little question. I came into possession of a Hal. BTS with the very tip of its tail necrotic (like not even an inch) and while transporting it home, it fell off (which I think is good). It bled a bit so I dabbed it with a paper towel until it clotted and have been spraying Vetricine on it at least 3 times a day. I do not have access to any kind of exotic vet in my area, and the tail is so small (6 months old) that I can't think of a way to cover the wound. Should I just keep applying Vetricen till healed? Or are there any other steps I should take?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First things first take out all substrate( bedding) replace with paper towels keep dry. I know sounds crazy because they are a high humidity creature. Most important thing is to take away the conditions in which bacteria thrive. I’d love to believe( just as I’m sure you would) that the affected part of the tail fell off. However this is highly unlikely. One thing that is crazy about reptiles with regenerate properties, especially in the tail is they can’t be cut they have to be pulled to regrow, otherwise the risk of permanent damage is much higher. There are certain thing especially in my line of work that you can’t say for legal reason. If this was my animal I would grip tight and rip off at least two full inches above the affected area, keep in sterile conditions and increase protein and calcium intake. I would use whole pray items or a combination of black fly soldier larva, wax worms and grubs and fruit by repashy. Sincerely somkeydbear, always willing to help.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
I certainly would not advise pulling at the tail or ripping off any part of it as mentioned above. Not only is it cruelbut you could cause more damage. As suggested though take out the substrate and put down paper until it's healed. I don't know anything about the product you are using to dab the tail with, here in the UK we generally used tamodine or betadine as it's also known as. Unless and infection starts then he should be fine. No need to worry about wrapping the tail it should be fine if you put the animal on paper.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
First things first take out all substrate( bedding) replace with paper towels keep dry. I know sounds crazy because they are a high humidity creature. Most important thing is to take away the conditions in which bacteria thrive. I’d love to believe( just as I’m sure you would) that the affected part of the tail fell off. However this is highly unlikely. One thing that is crazy about reptiles with regenerate properties, especially in the tail is they can’t be cut they have to be pulled to regrow, otherwise the risk of permanent damage is much higher. There are certain thing especially in my line of work that you can’t say for legal reason. If this was my animal I would grip tight and rip off at least two full inches above the affected area, keep in sterile conditions and increase protein and calcium intake. I would use whole pray items or a combination of black fly soldier larva, wax worms and grubs and fruit by repashy. Sincerely somkeydbear, always willing to help.
Hi, whatever your line of work is it`s clearly not understanding the issue of damaged or necrotic tails on Blue tongue skinks or other lizards!? If there is necrotic tissue in the remaining part the only way to do it is to CUT slightly into healthy tissue, a decent vet should be able to do that without any problems (it would be possible for an experienced keeper to do themselves but I`m not suggesting the OP tries). For your and the OP`s information, it`s perfectly possible the damaged tip fell off (if it`s dead tissue).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Got a little question. I came into possession of a Hal. BTS with the very tip of its tail necrotic (like not even an inch) and while transporting it home, it fell off (which I think is good). It bled a bit so I dabbed it with a paper towel until it clotted and have been spraying Vetricine on it at least 3 times a day. I do not have access to any kind of exotic vet in my area, and the tail is so small (6 months old) that I can't think of a way to cover the wound. Should I just keep applying Vetricen till healed? Or are there any other steps I should take?
Hi, any decent vet should be able to treat the "wound", but for now continue to keep the wound clean and dry, if the remaining part starts to shrivel it `s likely there`s some infection, in which case there`s no choice, you`ll need to see a decent (not necessarily exotics) vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts