Reptile Forums banner

for people who has had there pets put to sleep

• best to not watch and walk away and remember the good times

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • best to watch and say your good byes and see him pass away noing it wont be in pain

Votes: 24 77.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is a stupid question as i no its my choice but im confused and thinking to much and upset really upset as my lizard is goin to be put to sleep

is it best to not watch the lizard being put to sleep and walk away remembering the good times? or best to watch to make sure it has passed away peacefully and then say my last good byes i no this is one of them thing its up to me but i wonna see what the reply are im just not thinking straight and am very upset typing this as i love my lizard and want it to be with me but cant

for them who might think whats wrong with the lizard its got cryptosporidium :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
personally i wouldn't be able to watch :( it would be too upsetting
for me it would be best to just look away and remember the good times
i'd stay in the same room though

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
IMO i would ask them if i could put him to sleep my self, so your lizard feels safe and he was happy with his last moments - as he was in your hands:) sorry about putting him to sleep:(

·
Registered
274 Posts
IMO i would ask them if i could put him to sleep my self, so your lizard feels safe and he was happy with his last moments - as he was in your hands:) sorry about putting him to sleep:(
Your vet wont allow you to put him to sleep yourself as the drugs used are controlled drugs and usage is fairly strict

·
Registered
38,264 Posts
you could turn away and then hold him as he goes? its a hard descion either way hun and one youve got to make as only you know what feels right and also what you can cope with. sorry about ur lil guy

i wouldnt ask to put him to sleep yourself either your not a vet and could cause him more distress if you were to do it wrong

·
Registered
569 Posts
I held my cat when she was put to sleep, and I'm so glad I did. One minute it was her, and then she was gone. I knew she was at peace, and what had been her wasn't there anymore, and wasn't in any more pain.

So sorry you are having to do this, but if he is suffering it is the right thing to do. If you stay with him at least you know that he has something comforting and familiar with him rather than being left with strangers.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I would be there and hold them and belive me its hard i know (i know we are talking about lizards but) i had to have my cat put to sleep on the 10th of dec last year:( and i still miss him loads now:( i was there with him and i held him till the last bit but i had to be with him cos i couldnt stand it if he was on his own:(

·
Registered
48 Posts
i had to have my bd put to sleep, its heartbreaking, i totally understand what your going through, i stayed and held my bd, to help him relax and pass peacefull, but its not an easy thing to do, but i felt it was all i could do for him, was to be there till the end, hope this helps, so sorry you have to go through this.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reading this is making me choke up, I honestly have no idea how you can cope with it, my full respects and sympathies go to you.

I think the best thing to do would be to hold him and keep him as peaceful as possible till the last second...

Although, that seems like it could be so heartbreaking to watch.

Do what you think is right for you and I hope you feel okay, *hugs*

Fi,

x

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
my belief is that you have a duty to be there at the end so that your pet dies hearing a familiar voice, smelling a familiar scent and feeling 'his' human touching him so that he dies not being afraid. How awful to die at the hands of a complete stranger, alone and scared.:cry:
It is the greatest and final act of love you can show to your pet as long as you aren't screeching and wailing and scaring it. It requires strength which you get from the depths of your soul because you love the animal. Once it has passed, screech and cry all you like but please don't let your pet die afraid or alone.When you love your animal, you can find the strength because you think of him and do your utmost to ensure he passes in peace and not in fear.
If you do decide to be with him, concentrate on him, reassure him, tell him you love him . Don't think about how you are going to miss him. Not being nasty but your feelings are not important right at that minute. Because you love him, you will drag the strength from deep inside you to be strong for him.
You can do it. I know you can. I know it because I am the softest person around and idolise all of my animals but having so many means I have had to put lots to sleep over the years. If I can do it, I know in my heart that you can. Dunno how or where the strength comes from but I like to think that it comes from the love you have for the animal.It's over in a couple of seconds, that's all the time it takes for you to be strong for him.
Good luck. It's hard but afterwards, you'll be glad that he passed knowing that you loved him. It will truly help your grieving too to know that he knew that you loved him right to the end and thought of him more than yourself. There is no greater act of love you can give for an animal. Where love is, is also pain.<hugs>

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
On small lizards its done with a needle straight through the heart which kills instantly. It can be placed under the skin but it takes ages and is very distressing for the animal involved.

On larger animals it is standard to use a vein and inject intravenously. You can insist that gas be used to render the animal unconcious before the deed is done its much nicer that way but all in all it will help you to grieve if you are there.

Marina:)

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
At the end of the day it is your pet. You need to be there. You bought it knowing you will be there with it till death and so be it!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Thats not a very fair attitute to have. If the grief will be unbareable and he cant deal with it to then call him an unfit owner or a thoughtless careless person is cruel and unnessecary.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Thats not a very fair attitute to have. If the grief will be unbareable and he cant deal with it to then call him an unfit owner or a thoughtless careless person is cruel and unnessecary.

No I aint saying the person is careless or cruel. It's a hard thing to have to see and some people probably can't take it. I know it would kill if I had to put one of my animals to sleep...Thankfully I haven't had to!

Sorry if I came across as harsh , it never meant to sound harsh..

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
my belief is that you have a duty to be there at the end so that your pet dies hearing a familiar voice, smelling a familiar scent and feeling 'his' human touching him so that he dies not being afraid

In my eyes makes bog all difference to the reptile whether your there or not. I've had to do it twice and both times the animal was really either too sick to care or was not settled by me any way. I agree on your philosophy in this matter with human companions such as cats and dogs but reptiles i wouldn't take it seriously. It make more of a differnce to the human than the pet.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

I don't think anyone called him any of those things. You are the only one who has mentioned them.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thankfully have never had to experience having a lizard put to sleep but had the misfortune of having to hold both my Rottys while they was put down. Even though it was hard I am pleased that i was with them and they died with their mum their.

Its bloody horrible though, dont suppose a lizard will take as long as a big dog, but the experience and loss is the same no matter what the animal.

Hope it all goes as best that it can, my thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I held my other beardie that was given to us by some people who couldn't look after her when she was put to sleep. She was really old and he eyes started to close up, she couldn't move and we had to hand feed her and give her water by hand, it was horrible : ( But after countless vet trips we decided it was best to put her to sleep. If you stay with your lizard til the end then your not gonna be kicking yourself when you're upset that you walked away or anything

Its a horrible decision to make but in a way well done for doing what could be the best thing and putting your lizard out of its pain.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
say your good byes, and take them home, trust me. :)
its sad, but very peaceful, i had a velvet fall asleep on my lap.
sad, but 'good' in an odd way...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts