Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don vito, my bosc has had a sore foot recently, 2 of his toes appeared to have had small cuts that started to heal with a bit of germolene, but they kept reopening as he climbs around and runs.

now one of his toe nails is coming off, but im worried the bit underneath is causing him pain, though it looks like its forming a new nail, even feels like one but more fleshy coloured. Should I bandage his foot up or leave it in open air to heal? worried!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
not sure this hasnt happened with mine, ud be in 2 minds to leave the wound open cos it would heal quicker, but u risk threat of infection i would give ur vet a quick call, or if need be get him a quick run down
gd luck lemme no how he does!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he doesnt seem to be in any pain walking on it, well it hasnt slowed him down! going to leave it open, use tamodine on it, and hopefully it'll heal itself. will let u know how it gets on anyway

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We leave ours open Blazey (helps it heal quicker), if your worried about substrate getting in the cut just block off his digging area (yours free roams in your room right?) so that hes only on your carpet for a while.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
When Sav got a cut on his back I left it to heal itself on Frank Retes (Goanna Ranch) advice. He said when his monitors get cuts they are often almost totally healed within a couple of days with no sign. I did take out some rocks that he might catch it on though and increased the basking temp and removed his large bath and within days it healed nicely without a scar. I just made sure the wound was kept clean with ordinary water - not easy with all that dirt he digs into!!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
his toe nails dropping off. i've booked an appointment at the vets for next thursday in case he isnt any better. been using tamodine but he keeps running and climbing around and reopening the wound.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
his toe nails dropping off. i've booked an appointment at the vets for next thursday in case he isnt any better. been using tamodine but he keeps running and climbing around and reopening the wound.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
his toe nail dropped off now, doesnt look too sore but its gone a little gooey in the cut.

shall i keep using tamodine on it?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update. Since Don went to the vets and had his course of antibiotics his sore toe as been healing well. It still is a bit fleshy though it doesnt seem to bother him. The dead skin has started to come off nicely, kind of like a scab would do, so it looks like a bit of slight scarring may be left on his toes. Looks like he may lose another toe nail aswell but all in all he's doing well.

He still has his soil substrate so bathing is regular to keep it from getting too mucky. Since yesterday he's having his viv trashing mood and has trashed it twice :( think he wants feeding, he went for my hands when i opened the viv and he looks pissy at me :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Haha!! Glad the toe's healing up. Mine has a couple of missing toenails (came like that). He also had a wound on the side of his back once (about the size of a 1p) - don't know how it happened but monitors usually heal fast and well - there's no sign of any scarring now.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well he's making a right mess and he seems to be trying to dig in the corners of his viv. should i gave him more soil on his soily side? its not that deep as it is but i dont have much of a front panel on the viv to make it too deep, i could put a baord on the soily side so i can make it deeper. Think he is just trying to demand some food, he probably wants to eat the cats.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My soil in my current viv isn't deep at the front as it would fall out, so I banked it up higher towards the back for him.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kk i'll do that then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts