Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 started with 2 a couple and figured it was ok to let them live in the same tank well now that I see how sexual the male is and that my female laid 2 eggs and is now very skinny I removed him. The eggs did not make it. Any how I got another couple male and female the female is way bigger than the male yet he keeps trying to mate she usually tells him no. so they are together in a tank. Then I got another one that looks like a female yet when i try to introduce her to my other female she acts like the male shaking her tail and going towards the other female. What I'm trying to do is put my 3 females in the big cage and have each male in their own cage until i feel ready for them to mate. Am I going to be able to do this?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I know very little about leos as new owner myself. I would say though that females don't always get along. We bought our two as sisters been together since hatchlings and now nearly 3 years old. However one had decided to attack the other so have had to seperate them. I was told it is hormonal as one laid eggs and that I should be able to reintroduce them shortly but I'm thinking it would be best to keep them seperate.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The females will do fine together,but the males have to be separated as they will fight,two or three females and one male is fine also.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have 5 started with 2 a couple and figured it was ok to let them live in the same tank well now that I see how sexual the male is and that my female laid 2 eggs and is now very skinny I removed him. The eggs did not make it. Any how I got another couple male and female the female is way bigger than the male yet he keeps trying to mate she usually tells him no. so they are together in a tank. Then I got another one that looks like a female yet when i try to introduce her to my other female she acts like the male shaking her tail and going towards the other female. What I'm trying to do is put my 3 females in the big cage and have each male in their own cage until i feel ready for them to mate. Am I going to be able to do this?
Hello
Are you 100% competent at sexing leopard geckos really need to be if choosing to house them together.
Males should never be housed with other males and if housed with females they normally constantly pester them to mate which can end in fighting if the female is not responsive.
It is a possibility that three females could live together but they would all need to be around the same size and all be in good health.
You would need at least a 36" x 24" x 12" vivarium with plenty of hides.
Even then they may not get on you may notice bullying , dominance and maybe even fighting.
They only ever tolerate each other and will compete for best hides , basking spot , food etc so if one is not as strong as the others it will not get on well.
If you could provide pictures of your leopard geckos and their setups then we may be able to offer you more help and suggestions.
If it was me i would house them all separately as i do with all my adults as i had bullying , dominance , and fighting issues in my female groups a few years ago. which normally leads to problems like not feeding , weight loss , high stress levels ending eventually in illness.

This link explains how to post pictures.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...4974-how-post-pictures-using-photobucket.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts