Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im looking for advice on the suitabilty of a group of ornaments i am considering for my crested gecko terrarium.

They are made of luminous resin and are designed for micro landscaping, i am unsure if that material would be ok to put in my terrarium and be safe for my geckos as the ornaments are very small (between 2 and 4 cm in height and similar in width).

Here is a link to the product im considering;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZYZFJBR/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28KRDCGCBAZXX&coliid=I3CVU3OSO0MV8V

Any advice on this would be extremely helpful as the saftey of my geckos is paramount .

Thanks, Opal.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
In my mind the risk of VOC release from all petrochemicals (plastics/resins) in a heated environment is simply not worth taking.

As such my advice is to only ever use natural decoration or those that are proven inert around heat. I.e glass

John

·
Registered
33,153 Posts
In my mind the risk of VOC release from all petrochemicals (plastics/resins) in a heated environment is simply not worth taking.

As such my advice is to only ever use natural decoration or those that are proven inert around heat. I.e glass

John
What about plastic plants, food/water dishes etc, and resin hides that are produced specially for viv usage?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
There is no magic material from what I have seen, knowing the factories that make these things.

I have to view all lines with equal distrust until proven 100% otherwise.

They were designed to be used in aquaria at much lower temps. If we heat oil based items, regardless of the oil, be it fossil or organic (linseed) there seems to be a VOC release point with all.

I worry that these compounds are indeed released and build up in a confined space leading to reduced immunity in some and weakened lungs in others.

Until then I am only using natural decoration and live plants with either glass or ceramics for food and water bowls.

John,

What about plastic plants, food/water dishes etc, and resin hides that are produced specially for viv usage?

·
Registered
33,153 Posts
There is no magic material from what I have seen, knowing the factories that make these things.

I have to view all lines with equal distrust until proven 100% otherwise.

They were designed to be used in aquaria at much lower temps. If we heat oil based items, regardless of the oil, be it fossil or organic (linseed) there seems to be a VOC release point with all.

I worry that these compounds are indeed released and build up in a confined space leading to reduced immunity in some and weakened lungs in others.

Until then I am only using natural decoration and live plants with either glass or ceramics for food and water bowls.

John,
So the hides, dishes & fake plants made by Exo Terra, ZooMed, et al as being specifically for reptile use, are in fact unsafe?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
So the hides, dishes & fake plants made by Exo Terra, ZooMed, et al as being specifically for reptile use, are in fact unsafe?

Thats not what he's said....
He's said he is suspicious of plastics and resins in a small heated environment with an animal in it.

Personally, i dont trust any of the shite exoterra make (regardless of this specific issue) but there is evidence that heating many types of plastics causes a release of chemicals, i think its quite a wise idea to stick to more natural materials.

The plastic vents in one of my vivs was a white plastic grid, solid item with a little flexibility to it when i first got the viv.
Its now brittle (so taking the vent out to adjust a cable and the think starts to crumble). Its chemical structure has changed, whether from the heat in the viv or just time itself.

This is just one tiny example demonstrating that materials change and chemical reactions are still occuring, a little caution about their effects isnt a bad thing.

There is a direct correlation in the increase of plastics used for food packaging and the drop in human fertility, who knows what else is quietly going on in the background.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
These are exactly the kinds of things that worry me, as per the previous comment.

Nothing is made specifically for reptiles in terms of decoration to a special recipe, it's all the same formulas just in different moulds from what I have seen.

Each need to make up thier own minds, I have simply voiced my great concern.

·
Registered
33,153 Posts
These are exactly the kinds of things that worry me, as per the previous comment.

Nothing is made specifically for reptiles in terms of decoration to a special recipe, it's all the same formulas just in different moulds from what I have seen.

Each need to make up thier own minds, I have simply voiced my great concern.
That's quite worrying. If you're right (& I'm not disputing it), then nothing is totally safe for heated herptile housings. Vivs have plastic rails & vents, & some brands of viv are all plastic except for the glass. Then factor in lighting wires & fittings for fluorescent tubes, cables for stat & thermometer probes, & you already have a pretty high plastic content- & that's just the basic necessities! Then you have faunarium type housings which are of course all plastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you this has all been really helpful. I have been trying to figure out the msds specification on the resin to see how toxic it was, but couldn't find the manufacturer so couldn't get specifics.

I'm not going to put them in, wouldn't risk it. I have had trouble finding something that I feel is cute and personal (all though not nessesary) .

Thanks for all the advice and I agree with all the points made. More should be done to ensure they are 100% safe for reptiles. I'm sure it would also be a profitable business to manufacture and sell items that hold such great safety measures. I for one hope to have my geckos for as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
It all needs great thought, especially for those items close to the beam of a heat source (actually even UVB has an interaction with plastics causing them to discolour and become brittle), I feel that is where the main risk 'could' be.

In theory cables fitted to the roof as they should be, should not be exposed to those high/concentrated levels of heat as a resin or plastic rock or plant fitted under or around a heat source. As you point out, I do worry about plastic vivs.

This all came from a thought I had about RTI in snakes. Why would a snake that has changed and adapted over vast time to live in very humid ecosystems, that are swarming with bacteria be able to develop and continue to develop RTI in captivity. It simply made no sense.

Yes the wind of the wild is providing great gaseous exchange and keeping things fresh but the environments are generally very very wet and in terms of captive care, perceived quite filthy.

I then thought about VOC from plastics, especially cyanide which is produced by heating or burning plastics and its effects in small levels and over long periods of time on the lungs. Could it be that the trend of keeping them in RUBS and plastic draws and around heat does indeed allow these compounds to be released? do these compounds being provided in a poorly ventilated space stack up and effect lung function? does this impeded lung function then force a further lowering of the immunity and direct lung function and does this together work to stop normal function and developed protection against bacteria in an animal, thus making it susceptible to RTI?

again, each needs to make up their own mind.

I will continue to research and try to alter my own range to filter out any possible risks where possible..

It just has to be welfare first,

To the OP, happy to help, hope it has indeed been helpful.

John,

That's quite worrying. If you're right (& I'm not disputing it), then nothing is totally safe for heated herptile housings. Vivs have plastic rails & vents, & some brands of viv are all plastic except for the glass. Then factor in lighting wires & fittings for fluorescent tubes, cables for stat & thermometer probes, & you already have a pretty high plastic content- & that's just the basic necessities! Then you have faunarium type housings which are of course all plastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts