Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 6ft by 2ft by 2.5ft vivarium with a 150w ceramic bulb with heat guard and pulse thermostat.
My problem is since the drop in temperatures this winter and the rising cost of energy my flat is alot colder this year then the previous winter. My flat last year was 23 but is now hovering between 18 and 19.5. During the summer my snakes (royal python and boa) had hotspots of 32-33c with a hot anbient of 30 and a cool ambient of 26. But now i again have the hotspot between 32/33c but now their hot ambients are under 27! My boas is 26.5 and my royals is 26.8. I have no idea what to do other then turn my thermostat up. But last time i did that to gain 29 ambients in their warm sides the under lamp reading was going up to as high as 39! So had to turn it straight back down again. Am i better off with a 250w bulb in my boas viv and will this help with this issue? I currently have a 150w bulb in my royals viv which is 4ft by 2 ft by 2ft. maby a 200w for her? I have checked with a heat gun and the surface temps hot end are about 30 to 32 and going down to 26 cool end. Its just the ambient temps im struggling with. No idea what to do?

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
The options as I see it are:

• Replace the 150w ceramic with a heat panel. Drop @retic666 a PM for prices and availability. They are around 150w, but having a larger area will provide a better thermo-gradient.
  • There is a fin balance between running your central heating system to increase the room temperature and replacing the heaters in the vivs with higher wattage units. If your heating is gas then it still cheaper per Kw/h than electric. Swapping out a 150w heater for a 250w heater will use around 1.2kw per day, that's around 25p per day in electricity.. £7 - £10 per month. Running your hearing at a degree or so higher (if gas) might work out cheaper.

Are the snakes spending all their time under the heat, or are they thermoregulating ? - Having a cool ambient at 26.5 and 26.8 isn't really a problem... it's only 0.5 and 0.2c off 27, and that's not really cold. Provided the snakes have access to a hot side between 32-34c, heated by a means that also warm the air (ceramics / lamps / heat panels) then it would be fine as the snake will decide where it wants to be, and if it does get too warm it has an opportunity to cool down. Having a decent thermogradient is better than having the hot and coo sides within a couple of degrees of each other

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as i turned the heat down under the heat bulb to 32 my boa dove under it and has been there ever since and my royal never moves during the day....like ever and she practically lives under her cool hide but is about 23 in the cool side now so im worrying about her. Its cheaper to run the gas heating then the electricity you are right. My room is 20c atm as i had it on recently

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
As soon as i turned the heat down under the heat bulb to 32 my boa dove under it and has been there ever since and my royal never moves during the day....like ever and she practically lives under her cool hide but is about 23 in the cool side now so im worrying about her. Its cheaper to run the gas heating then the electricity you are right. My room is 20c atm as i had it on recently
Personally I think you are worrying unduly. The ambient room temperature in my lounge in the daytime has been around 19c - In a stack of 4 vivs, two Royals spend all day at the cold end, the other two at the hot side. My boa tend to use his hot side when in shed or after a feed, other times he sits at the cool end or midway. Provided you offer the snake the appropriate environment at the hot side then it will choose what or where it want to spend its time. You only run into problems when the incorrect heating system is used (such as mats for tropical species) that you run into problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Personally I don't think 1 x 150w CHE is man enough to power a 6ft viv in the winter. I always run 2 x 150w in my 6ft + vivs.

Your best options are:

1. Get another 150w CHE & run it next to your existing one.

2. Buy a 180w heat panel from me which will be man enough to heat your viv. As Malc quite rightly said, these have a surface area of 600mm x 300mm which will give you a good heat distribution & be ideal to heat the whole body of your snake. I'm running these in my 6ft & 8ft vivs & temps are spot on 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have a 250w bulb a year ago. But i had an accident with it....

How embarrassing.....I moved from a house to a flat and i was so anxious to set the vivarium up and get the heating back on for my boa (he was in a tiny 3ft vivarium whilst i set it up and hated it) that i plugged everything in but...I had stuffed a pjama top in with the bulb to protect it from being smashed. i had forgotten about it and it caught fire. My first 20 mins in the flat and i nearly set the place on fire. I had to run to the bathroom and put the shirt in the sink to put the fire out....I ruined the bulb in the proccess. I went to the pet shop and got the largest one they had at the time which was a 150w ceramic bulb and forogt about it. I had a partner that winter (helping with bills obv) and the heating was on constantly being home during the lockdowns and the temps in my flat were 23-25 at all times. So i wouldnt of noticed any issues. But this winter im on my own and electric is DOUBLE what i paid the year before and so the flat is about 18-19 because i cannot afford more..
However when i lived in the house i never had issues with his heating and the house was probably 17-18 in the winter... So i think 250w bulb would help greatly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts