Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

I'm a newbie and this is my first post here, so please remove or move if not appropriate/ in the wrong place.
We have a corn snake, she's gorgeous, and has a good setup incl. several hides, two baths, artificial plants and vines to climb on etc. We bought a cage for the heat source to make sure she is safe of burns.

So .. I noticed recently that she likes to climb up one of the plants and then chill up there, half in the plant and half on the cable of the UV light. She doesn't seem to move toward the UV, but I'm a bit worried because the UV is quite hot as well.

So, I considered getting a cage for the UV. Problem is that the cage takes away 15% of the light. Would you do this? I'm thinking safety first, but it's our first snake, so we're a bit insecure.

Advice is appreciated, thank you very much :)

Sarah

P.S.: This is Cassie :). She's scaleless.

Registered
Welcome 馃榿

I would recommend a guard and quickly. I do not own a corn snake (I have other snakes) but I've seen a fair amount of pics with snakes burnt from lights.

I believe corn snakes don't require UV (although is better for them to have it)... Might be best to turn it off until you do get a guard, esp as your snake likes to climb.

I would rather a healthy snake than a burnt snake.

Your snake looks to be enjoying itself 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi M1chelle,

Thanks a lot, I was thinking the same and ordered one that will be here tomorrow.

Oh, she's the cutest. Whenever you look for her, her little head pokes out somewhere 馃槏

Sarah

Registered
Nice looking snake... just a word of warning... there have been issues in the past where people have put ornaments such as skulls etc in the viv and one day then came down to find the snake stuck in a eye socket etc. The worst required a visit to the vets as in a bid to escape the snake had damaged its skin. Personally I would ditch that skull to be on the safe side...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Malc,

I didn't even think of that! At the moment she's too small to get stuck but I'll keep an eye on it and remove it as she grows. Thanks a lot for that advice!

Sarah

Registered
Trust me, the rate they grow that will need to be removed sooner than you think :) !

Registered
That light looks like a pro t 5 like mine, if so arcadia do properly made cages for uv with groves for the wires to come out without having to cut holes etc. I had problems with the mine being sharp in places but filed it smooth and it鈥檚 smashing. I agree with you, I was told not to bother with a cage and uv don鈥檛 produce heat, but one) they definitely do produce heat and two) a snake could easily climb and potentially break the bulb (which has been known to happen) and cut itself. So cages are needed in my opinion. That said they do reduce light % but that鈥檚 about working out what distance the bulb is to roof to floor and what %reduction in light the cage causes. Then you get the bulb suitable for the amount of light being omitted. (Please anyone correct my advice if I鈥檓 incorrect)

Registered
I do think the light cage is important too, not only the bulb get quite hot, the snakes can also rip it out, and I've seen a young royal python that had climbed on the bulb, and sliced his skin open on the edge of the reflector!

Don't worry about the reduction in UV, corn snakes don't NEED it in a way a lizard does, but it can benefit them, so if you decide to use one, do. Also, l believe the Arcadia cage is designed to minimise the UV loss.

Word of warning though: when you're installing the cage, make sure there is enough space around it not only to open it, but also to the side. I have installed the cage only about1.5 cm from the side of viv ( as l tried to create light and shade in the viv ) - and the first thing the snake did was to climb the cage and got stuck in the gap. Was a real nightmare trying to get her out. I couldn't re install the light, so had to just block the gap...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts