Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i finally understand how to post on here, I'm getting a Guyana Red Tailed Boa soon and I just need advice on what to buy for her tank and everything. I've kept a boa before but not a BCC. I can't find any solid answers online for BCC only BCI.

I just want someone with experience owning BCC's to tell me what type of bulb I should buy what temps the viv should be at, what I should be feeding and anything else that can help me. Should be able to figure the rest out on my own, I'm no stranger to snakes I just have no idea about what is best for a BCC. She will be a year old and in a 4x2x2 viv if that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asddddddd

not saying you're wrong, but why does everyone else online say caring for a bci and bcc is completely different if you just use the same stuff. I'm confused.

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
not saying you're wrong, but why does everyone else online say caring for a bci and bcc is completely different if you just use the same stuff. I'm confused.
As far as I know the care is the same for both.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
so what are "everyone"saying ???

The equipment required is exactly the same. Large vivarium, ceramic heater, pulse proportional thermostat, and some form of lighting such as florescent or LED on a timer to give a photo-period.

As for individual requirements such as temperature, humidity etc, I don't think it matters that much as part of setting up any enclosure is to watch the individual animal and set the temperatures accordingly. Whilst a typical hot side can be 32c, if you find your individual boa spends all the time at the cool end and never ventures towards the hot side, even after a meal, then gradually drop the temperature down over the course of a few days until the snake thermo-regulates.

Water can be provided by a large dog bowl, and decor of the vivarium can be to your individual taste, from newspaper to a full blown organic live planted tank. Humidity can be maintained through spraying, however I've found that increasing humidity is only required in the summer months when the snake is in shed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's why I'm asking for advice. Sorry I didn't realise you were naturally born with all knowledge of all animals and never had to do any research of ask for any advice at all. I'm sorry I am not an all knowing god like you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've read this forum on and off for a few years now, and it always amazes me how rude the established members are to the newbies. Someone genuinely wants to do the right thing by their snake and they're met with a passive aggressive comment about licences. If anyone says anything that may be slightly wrong they're set upon in seconds by multiple people. I understand that most people will only be concerned for the animal but you're allowed to be polite in your response. It often feels like a lot of people here have never made a mistake in their lives before or something. It's appalling behaviour and I wouldn't be surprised if many join this community and are then immediately scared off by the sheer unfriendliness on display.

·
Super Moderator
16,760 Posts
I've read this forum on and off for a few years now, and it always amazes me how rude the established members are to the newbies. Someone genuinely wants to do the right thing by their snake and they're met with a passive aggressive comment about licences. If anyone says anything that may be slightly wrong they're set upon in seconds by multiple people. I understand that most people will only be concerned for the animal but you're allowed to be polite in your response. It often feels like a lot of people here have never made a mistake in their lives before or something. It's appalling behaviour and I wouldn't be surprised if many join this community and are then immediately scared off by the sheer unfriendliness on display.
This of course goes two ways. The newbies who resort to swearing in their posts when the established members reply. They are then infracted under Forum Rules, and then they continue swearing and hurling abuse at the moderators via pm's!

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
This. I thought this kind of crap had stopped a long while ago, but I've noticed it creeping back in lately. Rudeness & hostility are uncalled for!

This of course goes two ways. The newbies who resort to swearing in their posts when the established members reply. They are then infracted under Forum Rules, and then they continue swearing and hurling abuse at the moderators via pm's!
And this too, unfortunately also lately. Newbies, if you get a rude reply, just politely suggest so & then report the post- no need to respond in kind & thus inflame the matter further!

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
I think there are several reasons "newbies" get what can seem to be a harsh response, one of which is the spate of trolling recently, and lots of new first posts that cover topics which have already been discussed, sometimes only two or three threads below theirs..

Those "established" members who have been on this forum for years had to use books or go to meetings / shows to gain advice or do research. Yet these "newbies" are asking basic questions, often without any background information, that can be had at a couple of clicks of a mouse button. I feel that often this lazyness gets reflected in the responses to the "newbies" posts.

It's not just this forum... I subscribe to other forums and a few of them are the same. You get a "newbie" asking for help but thy haven't done anything yet and want others to give them a completed working solution to their needs. They get a better response when they post details of what they've done so far and then show the issue that they can't resolve, because they have put the effort in.

To take things further, often now us "established" members won't respond unless photo's of the set up or the snake are posted... and then the thread goes quiet... either because the poster can't be bothered, or they get fed up trolling the board as the bluff has been called.

Getting this thread back on track, if the OP had posted the information he has been given, or linked to the source and then asked if this information is correct for keeping said snake then he may have received a less hostile reply. I asked for this in my last post, which the OP has yet to come back with.... and to a point I agree with Tiptonboa's comment...

Anyway, a lot of what I'm posting is irrelevant as the OP's member status is now showing as banned (way to go Stephen !).

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
I think there are several reasons "newbies" get what can seem to be a harsh response, one of which is the spate of trolling recently, and lots of new first posts that cover topics which have already been discussed, sometimes only two or three threads below theirs..

Those "established" members who have been on this forum for years had to use books or go to meetings / shows to gain advice or do research. Yet these "newbies" are asking basic questions, often without any background information, that can be had at a couple of clicks of a mouse button. I feel that often this lazyness gets reflected in the responses to the "newbies" posts.

It's not just this forum... I subscribe to other forums and a few of them are the same. You get a "newbie" asking for help but thy haven't done anything yet and want others to give them a completed working solution to their needs. They get a better response when they post details of what they've done so far and then show the issue that they can't resolve, because they have put the effort in.

To take things further, often now us "established" members won't respond unless photo's of the set up or the snake are posted... and then the thread goes quiet... either because the poster can't be bothered, or they get fed up trolling the board as the bluff has been called.

Getting this thread back on track, if the OP had posted the information he has been given, or linked to the source and then asked if this information is correct for keeping said snake then he may have received a less hostile reply. I asked for this in my last post, which the OP has yet to come back with.... and to a point I agree with Tiptonboa's comment...

Anyway, a lot of what I'm posting is irrelevant as the OP's member status is now showing as banned (way to go Stephen !).
Good points there, Malc. Also, are you getting as tired as I am of people here who trot out the 'I'm using tiles/paper/carpet as a substrate because of the high risk of impaction from loose substrates' malarkey ad nauseum, despite myself & others having pointed out time & again that this is nonsense if you have your husbandry correct, & that all reptiles are found on loose substrates in the wild without getting impaction? & some argue the toss when this is pointed out!:bash:

·
Super Moderator
16,760 Posts

Those that swear are infracted. If they swear again they are infracted, and so on. They get banned simply because their infraction points tally up. When of course they send pm's full of swearing and abuse, they are infracted again.

Posts are removed so not everyone sees the torrent of abuse aimed at those that are helping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It will never change unfortunately.

I joined the forum originally back in 2004 ish when there were just a few members - I was looking for advice regarding my first snake & also made a few online 'friends' as I was quite young/naive at the time.

The forum really blew up at one point when I was maybe 16, & with more people comes more personalities & more egos trying to prove a point.

If anything, the forum has gotten worse over the last few years as a lot of helpful members have left, the ones who would calmly & patiently talk people through things they were struggling with because they had the animals best interests at heart.

It's sad really, but there are still a few members left who are genuinely only interested in the animals best interest, & realise that by flaming & speaking down to less experienced members, are just going to drive them away & stop them getting the advice they need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyway, getting back on topic..

I've never personally kept BCCs, but have & do keep BCIs. I've wanted a nice BCC for a number of years so have had a few conversations over that time with people experienced in both, along with a fair bit of online research.

That research has led me to believe that the care of BCIs & BCCs are extremely similar, so the equipment needed for each are pretty much identical. It's worth mentioning though that BCCs tend to grow a little larger, so definitely prepare the adult enclosure towards the higher end of the recommended viv size. I personally dislike heat mats for anything other than colubrids, but your heat source really is personal preference as there's loads of options out there - radiators, AHS, tubular, ceramics, etc. Have a read up on a few & draw your own conclusion as to which you're wanting to go with.

As Malc said, I also like to provide LED lighting where possible for my boas in order to give a structured day/night cycle - many will say that lighting is not necessary, so again, I guess this boils down to your preference.

Obviously you'll also need a thermostat relevant to the heat source you choose, along with a suitable guard to stop the snake from getting burnt.

Timers are good for lighting if you choose to go down this route.

I'd also invest in a good quality snake hook - again, personal preference - but whilst they aren't giants, boas are still strong animals with phenomenal feeding responses, so tap training is always something to consider.

·
Super Moderator
16,760 Posts
It will never change unfortunately.

I joined the forum originally back in 2004 ish when there were just a few members - I was looking for advice regarding my first snake & I was pretty young at the time, for the advice I needed & made a few online 'friends'.

The forum really blew up at one point when I was maybe 16, & with more people comes more personalities & more egos trying to prove a point.

If anything, the forum has gotten worse over the last few years as a lot of helpful members have left, the ones who would calmly & patiently talk people through things they were struggling with because they had the animals best interests at heart.

It's sad really, but there are still a few members left who are genuinely only interested in the animals best interest, & realise that by flaming & speaking down to less experienced members, are just going to drive them away & stop them getting the advice they need.
Let us know your original username so that we can restore your account.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Good points there, Malc. Also, are you getting as tired as I am of people here who trot out the 'I'm using tiles/paper/carpet as a substrate because of the high risk of impaction from loose substrates' malarkey ad nauseum, despite myself & others having pointed out time & again that this is nonsense if you have your husbandry correct, & that all reptiles are found on loose substrates in the wild without getting impaction? & some argue the toss when this is pointed out!:bash:
For me it's no specific item, its the general thing of newbies asking the basics when there's an identical thread one or two posts below. But the thing that does bug me is when people post a question, say on feeding without stating what size the snake is, or what they have already tried and without detailing how they have the viv set up.

Its got to the point now where I look at such posts as being someone who is just trolling the board, and unless they post photo's when requested, stop responding.

Maybe Stephen could organise a sticky post along the lines of "top 10 most common questions" and include things like substrate impaction, heater placement, royals feeding habits, thermostats and there correct usage etc. Then if some newbie numpty who can't be bothered to read the sticky before posting, we simply point them to it !

The problem is that most newbies don't see things from us "established" members, who may have written the same response to the same questions 30 times before... and how tiresome that becomes.

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
For me it's no specific item, its the general thing of newbies asking the basics when there's an identical thread one or two posts below. But the thing that does bug me is when people post a question, say on feeding without stating what size the snake is, or what they have already tried and without detailing how they have the viv set up.

Its got to the point now where I look at such posts as being someone who is just trolling the board, and unless they post photo's when requested, stop responding.

Maybe Stephen could organise a sticky post along the lines of "top 10 most common questions" and include things like substrate impaction, heater placement, royals feeding habits, thermostats and there correct usage etc. Then if some newbie numpty who can't be bothered to read the sticky before posting, we simply point them to it !

The problem is that most newbies don't see things from us "established" members, who may have written the same response to the same questions 30 times before... and how tiresome that becomes.
I'm gonna type a write up about the myth of impaction & have it stickied (Stephen P said she'll do it). Then whenever anyone trots out the impaction malarkey, I can just link them to the sticky, as can anyone else.

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
Do submit anything you want making into a sticky. I know nothing about snakes, but pretty sure our other Moderators do.
The myth about impaction applies to lizards too, in fact most of the posts about it involve lizards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts