Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i've just registered on this forum today. I love reptile's and have been keeping them for over 2 years now.

I recently got a bosc, he's only a baby and i know he's probably scared but when ever i try to hold him or get him from his viv he always tries to bite me, none of my other reptiles have done this so i'm not use to it.

Is there any way of teaching him out of it? Please any advise would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Do a google search on bosc's and temprement they aren't great handleable reptiles, they will always have a more wild nature than a dog or a bearded dragon.
In short time and patience, and be serious with yourself from the start that this lizard that can grow between 4&5ft long may never like handling, then you won't be disappointed if he never "tames" down :)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
just patience if you keep handeling him he will eventually calm down boscs are know to tame down to be dog tame lizards just takes alot of time and patience and i thought they grew to more like 3-4ft and being 5 would be classed as a monster one lol dats wot i thought i might be wrong but dats what ive allways heard and read on alot of caresheets

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
there is infact a big debate on taming boscs, personally i would leave him and let him get used to you. dont handle just let him come to you. if you pick him/her up till he stop whipping or biting, in my opinion this is just scaring him and he won't act like a bosc should. he'll just be scared and submissive all his life which to me is not how a bosc should be. i got mine as a rescue and he was about 1 year old, now a year on he will come out and climb on me and let me touch him. i dont pick him up because there is no need and it only stresses him out. it just takes alot of patience.
p.s welcome to the forum :no1:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
there is infact a big debate on taming boscs, personally i would leave him and let him get used to you. dont handle just let him come to you. if you pick him/her up till he stop whipping or biting, in my opinion this is just scaring him and he won't act like a bosc should. he'll just be scared and submissive all his life which to me is not how a bosc should be. i got mine as a rescue and he was about 1 year old, now a year on he will come out and climb on me and let me touch him. i dont pick him up because there is no need and it only stresses him out. it just takes alot of patience.
p.s welcome to the forum :no1:
Yes - what Basky and Daisyleo says.

They're totally different to BDs etc - they learn to trust and tolerate you just give them time and patience and not grabbing them out. I started off exactly the same way when I first got one as I knew no better and it was like a losing battle - he'd only have to see the door open and he's dash for cover. Then I joined a monitor forum and everyone said just leave him be and see me as as just something that tidies the viv and offers food. He is now 2 1/2 years old and pretty tolerant.

Here's a useful link I found Kingsnake.com - Herpforum - HANDLING (not taming!) and other stuff

Best of luck with him/her

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
raz knew you'd turn up soon :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
raz knew you'd turn up soon :D
Haha - been a busy weekend here - you haven't been around much lately either ... :whistling2: My sav's hiding away a lot at the moment he's in shed - it's like an empty vivarium at the moment ...

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Haha - been a busy weekend here - you haven't been around much lately either ... :whistling2: My sav's hiding away a lot at the moment he's in shed - it's like an empty vivarium at the moment ...
yeah i got 3 jobs at mo so busy busy busy. got a new monitor now tho :D hehe v. glauerti woop

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
bosc

my bosc is dog tame he dont even hiss huff or puff he so good.
look at my pic at top^ mine is almost 4 foot. most bosc tame down well if you hold them every day.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
my bosc is dog tame he dont even hiss huff or puff he so good.
look at my pic at top^ mine is almost 4 foot. most bosc tame down well if you hold them every day.

yeh but isnt that sorta forcing them to be not a bosc anymore? like sorta breaking their spirit? :? just my opinion i suppose..

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it depends how you do it.
and on the animal.
if you go into it knowing that there are multiple levels of tameness and you cant be sure how friendly yours is gn end up and jst do your best to buld relationship you shuldnt go too far wrong ver the long term imo.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
dean knows what hes on about. never get a bosc and expect it to tame down cos some might not. im lucky to have some very nice boscs but have had some in the past that just never tamed, no matter how much he was handled. wish u the best of luck with ur bosc : victory:

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
it depends how you do it.
and on the animal.
if you go into it knowing that there are multiple levels of tameness and you cant be sure how friendly yours is gn end up and jst do your best to buld relationship you shuldnt go too far wrong ver the long term imo.
dean knows what hes on about. never get a bosc and expect it to tame down cos some might not. im lucky to have some very nice boscs but have had some in the past that just never tamed, no matter how much he was handled. wish u the best of luck with ur bosc : victory:
well said :)

annoys me a bit when people go on about boscs being dog tame, if you want a dog tame animal then why not just buy a dog in the first place lol :whistling2:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
well said :)

annoys me a bit when people go on about boscs being dog tame, if you want a dog tame animal then why not just buy a dog in the first place lol :whistling2:
Quite ...

My bosc was not force-handled - I let him learn to see me not as a threat (i.e. picking up every so often) but rather to come to trust me and so he does. Saved a lot of stress on monitor and I keep my fingers intact : victory:

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Quite ...

My bosc was not force-handled - I let him learn to see me not as a threat (i.e. picking up every so often) but rather to come to trust me and so he does. Saved a lot of stress on monitor and I keep my fingers intact : victory:

yeh i think i saw a link to another forum with you talking about the "taming" (for want of a better word) of your bosc, the one where theres a pic of him on your lap? :)..was a good & useful read...

i just go about my daily routine now like changing water & spot cleaning, if he comes for a nosey (which he always does lol) then i'll get him out for a bit..still have to keep hold though lol, always tries to make a run for it when out :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
yeh i think i saw a link to another forum with you talking about the "taming" (for want of a better word) of your bosc, the one where theres a pic of him on your lap? :)..was a good & useful read...

i just go about my daily routine now like changing water & spot cleaning, if he comes for a nosey (which he always does lol) then i'll get him out for a bit..still have to keep hold though lol, always tries to make a run for it when out :D
This one? (not my lap - my daughter's)

When I let mine out he'll wander around some, then go back in on his own if I leave his door open (so long as I remember his step up stone ;) ) Otherwise he'll go curl up in a corner of the room and I can get him from there a bit later. I had to make sure to "monitor-proof" the 2 rooms he's allowed in though as they can squeeze themselves into surprisingly tight corners. Last year he wedged himself under the grate of the fire (it was off of course) and we had such trouble getting him out we thought we'd have to call the gas board!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts