Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just bought a shed load of castors and none of them hatched was dud batch, but this as left me desperate for flys and lots of hungry Mantids ;(
Anyone local out there have any spare or for sale, had to catch wild ones but with last batch of crap weather even that options shafted!

HELP lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi, don't buy casters from a fishing tackle shop as these will often be dead. Instead i ask for a handful of maggots. I split them into three boxes and in each box i crumble half a wheatabix, or similar. This is to stop sweating of the maggots. One box is placed outside, the other is in the house and the other is placed in the hottest place i can fin (within reason!). This will give you a staggered hatching period. The maggots will pupate into casters, and these will get increasingly darker until almost black. When they're crispy and almost black they will hatch in a few hours. It's a real easy way of getting constant flies and it's very cheap too. H

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys I did catch about 14 hudge flies last sunny snap we had but I have a lot of mantids so they didnt last long.
As for fishing shps yea Ive had really poor hatch rates from their stock and this last lot none of them hatched , hence the problem.
Ill try the maggot trick but lasts longer term I need something now!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
We keep our maggots in the fridge and get out a handful every week, they last a long time then.

We've got over 100 and this lasts us about 6 months. :no1:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so you bought a 100 maggots stuck em in a fridge and just take out a handfull at a time and they last 6 months? do they breed in the fridge too ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Jay but her postage is like 8quid and then 3 quid for a tub! thats not pricey, thats daylight robbery!
I should open a business myself doing this as seems noone else thinks to simply sell flies lol
was hoping for another option, but if not I'll feal violated! lol

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
We buy a pint of pinkies (greenbottles) and half pink of maggots (bluebottles).

This is seriously a lot of maggots lol! Also it only costs a couple of pound. The blue bottles caster up in the fridge and the greens only caster when you bring them out.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What mantids do you have? Most of them will happily munch on crickets while you're waiting for the flies.
I have Idolomantis, Orchids and Wahlbergi, all these can only take flies and flying prey Crickets will make em sick sadly ;(

Thats the beauty of the other non flower mantids they'll eat anything

I'll try the maggot option, will that many maggots fit in your fridge? lol
do you get these from normal fishing shop?
I tried curly wing culture from Dartfrog and it was a complete waste time came with no flies at all even though advert said it did and non of there castor ever hatched waste of 15 quid! tossers!!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Ah right, yeah I see your problem.

They will take dubias, not sure if you have a colony? We fed our orchids a baby one each when we ran out of flies without any issues.

The other alternative is actually feeding them the maggots, it's time consuming and you'll have to take the mantis out of the tank as the maggots will bury in the substrate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts