Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im stressing cuz my male leo keeps diggin an i dont know why,and theyve just had a fight over the same bug and my male went for the female....any advice please??? : victory:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
are you 150% sure its the male thats digging ?

females do alot of digging and acting listless before laying ....

Kev

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wel i had them sexed at the shop when i had them,i have a male and a female. the male(?) is a lot bigger than the female id day hes 9inches long shes about 6.5 inches.and he's a lot bulkier than her in size. please reply

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
At that size you should be able to sex them without too much problem. look at the underside of "his" tail. their should be a pair of swellings at the base and a V shaped line of dark dots just behind his cloaca. the female will have these dots too but they are the same colour as the rest of the scales.
I once had a female who just seemed to love to dig holes. it was nothing to do with laying as she was too young, had never been with a male and started in the wrong time of year. apart from anything else she did it for months and never layed any eggs. it may be that he just feels like digging. also, is he digging anywhere in particular? I have noticed ocasionaly if the water bowl is empty they will dig around that, posably a desert instinct, knowing to dig in dry river beds for water. also if he is digging along the edge of a rock or something he may be trying to build a cave. in the wild leos will usualy live in crack in a rock, but will sometimes dig their own burrows. maybe try adding another hide, espesualy if the two have been fighting.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hes been digging all over the viv, behind things in the middle of viv.....they have 4 hides and a bridge that they lie under all ready
...any more ideas?????

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh sorry i put them both in an empty crix tub when i cleaned them out week b4 last, the male has swellings at base of tail but id say there was no noticable difference between their pre anal pores...a mate suggested sexing with probs but my female WILL NOT LET ME HANDLE HER.....AT ALL.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
DO NOT PROBE THEM. If you even can probe lizards I had not heard that before, but even with snakes it is far to easy to injure them unless you know what you are doing. that is a vet job until you have been shown how to do it properly. If he has the swellings then it is pretty certain that he is male.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like i say from the sizes im pretty sure of what sex they are ...like i say its just the pores that i was like hummmm...ok...... i cant really see them...on either lol. colud only just slightly see them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
maybe they are not quite old enough yet. the swellings will apear before the pores change. how old are they? not that it realy helps with your problem, we have pretty well established he is male.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theyre nearly 16months old. i thought at first when i saw there had been some digging that it was the female and that she was gravid...but last few times ive caught one of them digging its been the male every time

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they seemed to have quietend down 4 a bit now both sleeping..if any one else has any info or advice id be sooooo greatfull : victory:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If they have no noticeable differences between their pores could they possibly both be male? That may explain the fighting.

Could you get photo's of their "bits" so you can post them and get a few opinions. If they're male and are just reaching maturity it would explain the fighting now but not before.

As for the digging, could he be trying to get away from the other one?

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cant get pic of bits cuz i cant pick up the female....like i say this is 1st time it happened and the one has the swellings by tail,just that the pores arent very noticable

·
Registered
475 Posts
Go on www.thegeckospot.com on the caresheet section. It has pictures of the pre-anal pores of both male and female so this should ehlp you. You can see the bulges of a male without picking him up so have a look at your supposed female from a diagonal view from the back. If she has no noticable bulges at the base of her tail then she is female. Some of my males dig too, but they are kept alone. They just like to make a mess and make themselves comfortable. They've always done it. And do not probe lizards especially leos as you really don't need too! The differences between males and females' genitals is immense!!!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u can see the swelling on male,female has no swelling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts