Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 rough green snakes with a ceramic lampholder with a dome and mesh guard around it. However the snakes can get on the dome and it does get hot. the is a 150watt bulb in there. Would this burn the snakes? The one that goes on there is pregnant if that helps in anyway

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i would get rid of it and get a ceramic holder and square mesh guard
that covers it all............do you have it on a thermostat? and yes i would guess this would burn the snakes if they stayed on it long enough.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Just to give a little ambient temp above it
A mat won't give ambient heat. It heats the things around it, but not the air. Using a ceramic/heat bulb will give you more than enough ambient temperatures.

Can't really work out in my head the situation you've got, but I'd just say however you approach it, make 110% certain the snake can't get near the bulb or chrome guard. If a stat fails and you're not around, you could lose the snake. They don't feel heat the same way we do, and will happily stay wrapped around a hot bulb until their scales/skin start to burn/melt.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Try would benifit more from light emitting heat sources as they enjoy baskinging. So I'd ditch the ceramic and get a heat lamp and dimmer. With fine mesh. Or make one yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts