Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm looking for help towards setting up a planted terrarium, the size of the enclosure is 30x30x45 (LxDxH) and will be housing my adult female Poecilotheria Metallica. From what I've read they're from Indian rainforests type regions so I'd ideally like to focus around that climate.

What sort of plants could I put in there? I like the idea of some natural 'grass' type plants, maybe a fern, bromeliads, orchids and moss etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was that the massive communal effort? Not keen on clicking on links : victory:

Looked immense but the set up was all wrong in my opinion. Too much space and too many hides, made them create territories instead of sharing one hide communally

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Looked immense but the set up was all wrong in my opinion. Too much space and too many hides, made them create territories instead of sharing one hide communally
How can it be wrong if it worked?

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Just because some people have had success with small enclosures doesn't mean large enclosures are impossible. The entire hobby is built on people experimenting and reporting the results, and you never know, this approach might be more effective. Or it might fail. Don't know until you try.

Tarantulas are not normally communal. So discussing "wrong" and "right" in this context seems a bit of a pointless endeavour anyway.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How can it be wrong if it worked?

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Just because some people have had success with small enclosures doesn't mean large enclosures are impossible. The entire hobby is built on people experimenting and reporting the results, and you never know, this approach might be more effective. Or it might fail. Don't know until you try.

Tarantulas are not normally communal. So discussing "wrong" and "right" in this context seems a bit of a pointless endeavour anyway.
Touche, I was more commenting on this particular example and not the whole communal debate. It was to my knowledge that the majority of this P.Metallica canabalised each other leaving only a few stronger individuals. Bit too pricey for a 'try it and see' scenario. For me anyway :)

Anyway we digress, I just wanted to know some plants or ideas for a nice enclosure for my female :)

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,019 Posts
I tried a live planted enclosure for a P metallica some years ago. I planted the plants into flower pots and then sunk them into the substrate to aid watering and removal if they died. It wasn't easy as the plants needed light which the metallica didn't like, they went yellow after a few weeks although I picked low light loving plants. I use silk flowers now, they are very realistic.

It was fun setting it up and trying though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried a live planted enclosure for a P metallica some years ago. I planted the plants into flower pots and then sunk them into the substrate to aid watering and removal if they died. It wasn't easy as the plants needed light which the metallica didn't like, they went yellow after a few weeks although I picked low light loving plants. I use silk flowers now, they are very realistic.

It was fun setting it up and trying though.
I had wondered what it would've been like using UV with P.Metallica seeing as how they're super photosensitive. I was planning on creating a really dark retreat with some overhanging plant life to double up the security.

What artificial plants do you use now? I won't use the Exo Terra ones anymore, overpriced but unfortunately to buy a plant that looks realistic is pretty expensive for artificial. Unless I'm looking at the wrong places (Ebay, Dunelm Mill and Pets at Home)

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,019 Posts
I use exo terra plants, they are expensive but they wash and last forever. The real plants I bought were cheap but needed replacing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo expensive though :bash: If they didn't have the words 'Exo Terra' stamped on them then they'd be half the price

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Soooo expensive though :bash: If they didn't have the words 'Exo Terra' stamped on them then they'd be half the price
aim of the game im afraid. i use Dunelm Mill fake plants. had no problems with them in enclosures and they clean up easily. you can find those sucker pads to attach them to the glass on ebay, dot of silicone on the back to attach them and jobs a good 'un

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aim of the game im afraid. i use Dunelm Mill fake plants. had no problems with them in enclosures and they clean up easily. you can find those sucker pads to attach them to the glass on ebay, dot of silicone on the back to attach them and jobs a good 'un
Yeah I decided to go for the artificial look instead as some bills just went out the door and bit me in the backside :bash:

One day I'll have a nice planted terrarium though :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm going to be attempting a planted invert setup over the next few weeks, sculpturing it with rotten wood pieces and attempting to grow a series of weird and wonderful mushrooms. If it works I'll let you know

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.