Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im sorry to bother all who read this post but im a bit worried about my Baby Royal Python, she has just shed and im ok with that its just theres a bit left on her head and it doesnt seem to come off. I've checked my Ball Python care book but i've thried the solutions in there and they dont seem to be working can anyone help me im quite worried and new to reptile keeping. :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Does the skin thats left cover the eyes,

Best thing to do is allow snake to have a bath for a few mins, then with wet hands rub over snake, hopefully this will help excess skin come off,

do not use any tweezers to pull off, or rub snake on anything,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i Havent relly got any Pics of it yet seen its new and only tiny i've tried rubbing it in the directions of the scales but everytime i do my snake pulls away and i cant rub it off. :(

G

·
you have to be quite forceful...but gentle at the same time.
have you got any kind of cork bark in the viv? or anything it can rub against?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks but im a bit worried seen everytime my snake moves really fast im worried it might lunge out at me and bite for no reason. Also how warm do you think the bath should be?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
try letting the snake run through a wet towel in your hands, the roughness should remove the skin, bath it first for about 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thank you everyone who entered in some awnsers, i think i have enough to go now and try a bit more on the shed tyvm if it doesnt work i will create another Forum please keep an eye out

G

·
ok good luck with it...let us know how you get on.
it happens quite often...just make sure the humidity is raised next time and it shouldnt happen...also dont handle when in shed process.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I have been having similar problems to you. being new to royal pythons it took me a couple of weeks to get to know her, and understand that she doesnt want to bite me! I put a soaking bowl in, and she loved that. then after she'd soaked a while, i gently applied oil provided by the vet with some cotton wool. please check but i did read that veg oil is effective too.

the rubbing with a fingee is great for other sections of the body but i understand it is not so easy for the head. try a towel, washed in no softener and left to dry on a heater (so it is really rough) then let your snake travel through it. be quite firm, making it tight for her head to fit through. The oil should do the trick though :wink:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I wouldnt advise using any kind of oil, it tends to nake the next shed quite problematic. A quick bath and a run through a damp towel should do the trrick, or alterntaively you can pop the snake in a damp cotton pillowcase for a while.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
PendleHog said:
I wouldnt advise using any kind of oil, it tends to nake the next shed quite problematic. A quick bath and a run through a damp towel should do the trrick, or alterntaively you can pop the snake in a damp cotton pillowcase for a while.
I didnt know this! oh well. i didnt have a choice. my girl was in a heck of a state when i got her, had to take drastic action.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Hopefully she'll be fine next time, especially now she's being kept properly :D The pillowcase trick is a good one though if you do end up with a problem again.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
yeah i had heard this one, but not tried it yet. if my previous post is not beneficial, can it be removed? i dont want to ill advise someone. should have left it to someone more experienced :oops:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dip into lukewarm water and give it a slight bath so to speak. The try to slowly peal the skin off the snake, but if your not comfrtable with that, after the bath get a bit of sellotape and roll it around your finger with the sticky part on the outside. Then continously stick it onto your jumper or something to decrease the sticky factor and then use it to try and take the skin off your snake. Additionaly in my experience if you just give it a bath and increase the humidity in the viv then the skin usually gets taken off by the snake itself ina few days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a similar problem on my royal when I first got her, was down to bad humidity in the pet shop. Probably wont buy snakes from pet shops anymore because of that, she had quite bad skin (blisters etc) after her first shed in her new house she has been fine and alot more active than before. But anyway, whenever I have retained shed on my snake I leave it in it's viv till the next day and see if they've got it of themselves, if not, then it's a warm bath for them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts