Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi if you click link below you will see my little basilisk not to sure how old but definitly no older than a year i think could be wrong, it would be helpful if some one could sex it for me thanks, also how long should it take to tame so it doesn't run off in my hand and will let me just grab him in cage thanks

Reptile Forums - newt newbie's Album: My basilisk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can see the tail fin and head crest growing so im guessing its a male as females dont get those crests.

im still finding out what sex mine is and he is 1 year old. may i ask how old yours is?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I am not totally sure, but I do believe he is around the one year mark, I got him because my local exotics shop got a load of animals cause another shop went bust :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then mine should be around that age also, i bought mine when he whas 2 weeks out of his egg so i needed to guess. He whas so tiny. :)

thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How tame was yours because mine tries to bite me non stop and runs round his cage he hates being held, have you got any tips on how to tame my little fellow
Thanks
I only got him cause he bit my friend and I found it funny, but I really like him, and I want him to be a tame pet that will sit on my shoulder while I do housework and go out ( with a lead when he's a adult)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine always ran away, tried to bite, untill 3 weeks ago when he suddenly did nothing when i picked him up and i could pet him. and its still like this.

The only tip i can give you is try to hand feed him clean his cage daily so he gets used to you, try to put him in a room where he can get used to people. my lizard took one year to get used to me.

Whatever you do dont force it with taking him out all day long because that will make him only more skittish. If for some reason you need to take him out do it sideways never from above he might think your a predator and wil bite or run.

So basicly dont force him and let him come to you. ;-)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Grabbing him is your problem. Never grab him unless you need to. You will need to spend a lot of time and patience to tame a skittish lizard. First thing is to get to touch him and stoke him without him going mad. So you put your hand close but don't touch him and gradually over the days get closer till you can touch him. Next step is to put your hand flat slowly under his front legs and again gradually further under till he will climb onto your hand. Some will never fully tame and can you put the time in to do it?
Oh and if you want something to sit on your shoulder get a parrot LOL If they fall from shoulder height they can fly unlike your lizard which will just smash to bits

Bit small from them pics to 100% sex. My sold as a female Sailfin turned into a nice big male after 12 months.They where both very similar for a long time and his crests and sail did not show till he was a lot bigger than yours in the pic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts