Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I wonder if anybody can help tell if this Ocellated Uromastyx is a boy or a girl?

It was sold to me as a female that had previously been laying eggs. I bought her for my other half who has 2 other Ocellated Uros, one definitely male and the other a juvenile, also bought as a female but suspect is now a male. They get on fine and all is well between those two.

The new one is slightly bigger than the existing adult male and likes to beat him up. I had a look underneath and the femoral pores on the new one are quite small, so didn't really have any proof that it wasn't female. Then yesterday I saw her taking a poo and saw what I thought was a winkie! :shock:

If it's male he will have to go as we have no room for a separate viv. This poor lizard has already been re-homed once so wouldn't take passing him on lightly, hence getting some advice to make doubly sure I'm doing the right thing.

I've added a couple of pictures below. Any expert opinions to help me would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, the poor thing has a lot of really bad scarring underneath towards his back end. He's also got 2 toes missing on each back foot. Do you think this might have been caused by a heat mat accident?

Thanks in advance.

Carlie
xx

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

The poor little blue man, up in the tree on the 3rd picture, is getting beaten up on a daily basis, so need to act quite quickly before he gets too stressed.

I'd like to be a little more clued up about this Uro before moving it on. No point in telling people what I've been told about it laying eggs if it's male...

Help much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
def looks male to me just looking at his colouring size .both male and female have pores so very difficult to tell.sexually mature males exude a brown,waxy substance from femeral and preanal pores to mark his territory
the substance sticks to pores and sticks out like short brown comb teeth if you see this you can be pretty sure you have a male.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
i think you need to separate them before one gets badly hurt,as for the missing toes not sure why they are missing but can't see it being from a heat mat as people don't use them with uro's.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
i find the females more aggressive than the males ...the poor boys always come of worse in the uro world so it may well be female...
its near on impossible to tell sex by pics but pu them side by side and look at their heads ..and base of tails to see how they compare :2thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think its just that ceramics & thermostats are more appreciated by them, but in my experience they do fine on heatmats too: victory:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
i think people dont use the heatmats as they dont give anywhere near the slightest heat a uro needs so therefore still have to use a ceramic or similar ..then youre using more electric more plug sockets more stats ect than needed...so easier to stick with 1 ceramic 1 plug and 1 stat
also if placed on bottom of viv which i know some people do a uro will scratch at it i know my egyptian would destroy a mat anywhere she could reach:lol2:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help, guys.

The femoral pores are certainly a lot less significant on the bullying Uro than on the blue male, so it may well still be a female if the beatings are normal behaviour for this type of lizard.

So, what about the winkie I saw? Do females have anything back there that could be mistaken for a todger? What do Uro hemipenes look like? :blush: It didn't look like the usual horror that I've seen on other lizards. :lol:

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
firstly three occilata in the same cage is never good, remove the new uro if the other 2 were getting on, please asap before he\she ends up dead they will bully to the death. please post a better pic as I cant tell from that distance if its male or female the problem is 2 males will fight but so will 2 females. Even a male female pair will fight if not given enough hiding places. As for the missing toes this is due to aggression caused by other uros the will attack the other uro from the rear heat mats are and never will be appropriate for uros they need a basking spot of 120+ a heat mat at that temp will just burn the uro a good 100w spot will do the job alot better and heat the viv as well to the correct temp.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your reply, Matthew.

I didn't realise that Uros were so aggressive. I've seen them living in little colonies before now so hadn't realised it would be a problem to keep them together.

I'll try to get better pictures and post these up for final opinions on gender.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
deff looks like a male to me mine is exactly the same and mine is a male.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts