Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just inherited a male uromastyx lizard. He came with a screen material cage that is about 25 X 14 X 14. He also came with 2 light bulbs; one for day & one for night. Is this cage adequate for him? Does he need a solid walled cage to keep warmer? Is one light sufficient for him? And do lizards like to be handled?
Thank you very much for any info; we have never had a reptile before & would like this guy to be happy. :?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh gosh...
they do need a solid cage with lots of substrate and tunels to bury themselves in.
Very hot basking site of about 130 degrees.
Bright light during the day.

Your aware of dietry etc yes?

I believe they are a very tame lizards but can easily harm you with thier claws by accident.

You should do a google search for some care sheets.
do you know what species you have???

I love uro's, i really wana get one, they arent tooo easy to come by locally mind.

Wish you the best of luck with him, would be nice to see some pics.

Heres a couple care sheets, they may contradict summit i said... i havent read them recently, just doing a qick search for you..

http://www.kingsnake.com/uromastyx/caresheets/uro-care.htm
http://www.kingsnake.com/uromastyx/
http://jason.creager.com/uros.html

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lol couldnt find this one
http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Breeders.htm
its a good site, only came up on google when i searched for breeders though ,anyway also worth looking at...

About size of cage..not sue but i think the min would be a 4x2x2 but you should get info like that from the care sheets.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
I agree with DEANandTRESE

I dont think there is ANY way you can maintain the kind of temps these guys need in a mesh viv

And I agree, lots of substrates and hidy bits.

Do you know which species he is, as some you can offer a small bowl of water to, but others you should not. Also diet is very improtant to these guys.

I wont give to much info here as DEANandTRESE have already posted links for you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
How old is he, and do u know how long he's been in that mesh viv? Could've caused him problems if he hasn't had the correct temps etc for a while.

Post some pics when u've got him all sorted, love uromastyx, be great to see him all settled with concerned owners like yourselves.

Good luck :2thumb:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try asking Thorr from Dragons d'Asgard. I know for a fact that he has an interest in Uromastyx spp. Either visit his French speaking site(Dragons d'Asgard) and head for the English speakers forum or try PMing him on this site, his username is thorrshamri.
He helped me a lot when I got my first lizard. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great lizards, would love some of the smaller species but never see any available around my neck of the woods! :(
Any idea which type it is? Whats been said so far is right about the viv, deep substrate, tunnels ect, ive got a book on them so if u need any info will take a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the info. I have a picture of "Chester", but don't know how to post it. I could email it to someone if you'd like, & maybe they could share it & tell me which type he is?
I called the original owner, they had him about 3 years. They bought him from a pet store which sold them the mesh cage. About 6 months ago the pet store told the owner that Chester should be in a glass cage & have a stronger light. She said they did this & Chester got very ill & almost died. She believed it was much too hot for him & went back to the mesh cage where he seems happy. He does like to climb up the sides of it.
From everything I've read it seems like Chester should be in a warmer cage, but I don't want to hurt him. I did read about his diet & have been feeding him all kinds of fresh veggies chopped up & bird seed, though I never actually see him eat anything. He seems most excited in the morning when he gets pretty direct sunlight on his cage, he likes to bask in it & climb the sides of the cage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts