Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

Im new to these forums as I come with unusual behavour from my Bearded Dragon (well unusual too me)

My Beardie is around 8 months old & last week started doing some kind of mating ritual by opening & closing its mouth every so often during the day & also enlarging its throaght in & out (this didnt cause me concern) but now he/she (not sure here also) wont eat & tries to escape the viv climbing onto the glass & clawing its way along the length of the glass, he/she also keeps sticking its tongue out at the rock,side of viv & glass as if its licking it.

I gave Dino :lol: crickets & mealworms 4/5 days ago but he (maybe she) never ate them & even though I try to get Dino to eat he/she wont. I have removed the crickets so not to cause distress but would like an answer on this behavour if possible.

Is this part of the mating ritual or is my Beardie sick?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
get him/her sexed 1st,then it will be easier to go on it's behaviour.have you any idea what it is?male/female?my 2 female beardies are 8 months old also and have not done what yours has done.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
he is probably tooooo hot mate.

the opening and closing mouth is gaping, regualting body temp, like crocs do and as dogs do.. however they will do it if they are ok temp wise like wana stay under the warm lamp so to get rid of some heat so as to not have to move away.

the throat thing goes with this often..nothing to worry about..
HOWEVER, if he is scratching at the viv trying to escape and not eating there is a very good chance he is in fact over heating.

open the doors for him and let him out to cool, then check your temps and if too high get them sorted, if you need advice on temps just ask, wil be happy to help/
Dean

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
he/she also keeps sticking its tongue out at the rock,side of viv & glass as if its licking it.
Probably thirsty.
does your beardie drink from a water bowl?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

the temp in the viv near the heat lamp is 80 degrees its a 4 ft long 2 ft high viv & the lamp is on 1 side, I have tried to leave a bowl of water in the viv but he/she keeps running over it causing sand to get in the water or it to spill :? so every so often I spray him/her I had an idea to drill a few small holes into the viv & atach a water feeder like for o mouse or guinee pig but havnt got round to doing it yet. I will get a water feeder asap if this is the case.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
er.. i dont know then...
80 degrees is actually a very low temp for the hot end.. very safe low for the cool end...
if i may ask, how are u measuring your temps exactly and what heating equipment and wattages do u use?
also what are the temps in the cool end if 80 is the warm.

as far as the water feder goes, good luck, its an idea thats been thrown around a few times but never heard anyone actually say they have made the idea work, worth a go.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I know someone who is sucessfully using a hamster water bottle on one of thier lizards. and I believe the lizard, not abearded dragon, uses it quite well and is something im going to see about doing too as i cant get my beardies to drink from a water bowl but they will come up to the end of a medicine syringe and happy drink from that. :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
This sounds really similar to what our baby girl was doing. She was right off her food, really listless too and kept balking as if she was gonna be sick!! We took her to the vets and found out she had parasites, so a MoT down the vets may not go a miss.

Good luck. Keep us updated!! :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
when you say licking, depending on how he does it, he is just simply tasting his surroundings (like smelling)

my bd does it a lot and i'm sure everyone elses does too, unless i've misunderstood what you ment :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It just sticks its tongue out once when he moves to a location like its rock or bowl.

The heat source is an extro tetra 60w heat bulb, the temp guage is at the back of the viv on the ground, the heat bulb is just above the rock so it is hotter on the rock than down on the ground where the temp guage is.

I gave him a few crickets today & he ate 1 that I know of & my son said he drank from the bowl (but he is only 4 & may have been mistaken)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like Dino is getting back to health he ate 3 crickets yesterday & another 3 today (he`s leaving the mealworm out though :? )

·
Registered
801 Posts
BazJam said:
It just sticks its tongue out once when he moves to a location like its rock or bowl.

The heat source is an extro tetra 60w heat bulb, the temp guage is at the back of the viv on the ground, the heat bulb is just above the rock so it is hotter on the rock than down on the ground where the temp guage is.

I gave him a few crickets today & he ate 1 that I know of & my son said he drank from the bowl (but he is only 4 & may have been mistaken)
Hi ya Baz,

Glad ur Beardie is gettin better!!

When u say the temp gage is on the floor, its more advisable to have thermometers at either end, so u can monitor the thermal gradient. Have them at approx the height that ur Beardie is at most often. That way you'll be able to ensure the temps are correct in all parts of the viv.

Sorry if I've misread ur msg.

Good luck!! :2thumb: Cand xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi, the bearded dragons way of senting things is by (sticking its touge out) this is a way of tasteing basicly. the way to get your dragon to drink is to spray a mist of water over them. the water runs through the lines on their head, then runs into there mouth. they sap it up from there.
as for the opening of the mouth, like they have been saying, it might be too hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts