Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a snake in december for my birthday and i am just wondering what things i definitly need in the vivarium.

At the moment im not sure if u need a thermostat ??? on some websites is says you do and on some it doesn't

!!!!!! HELP !!!!!!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
You MUST have a thermostat, to me they are key to keeping your reptiles successfully.
Are you getting a hatchlling? If so the stat will be the most expensive thing, you will just need a small plastic box (like a faunarium), a little heat mat, the mat stat and some hides and a water bowl.
A waterbowl can be as cheap as a coffee jar lid and the hides can be yoghurt pots or whatever else you like.

Depending on the snake, an adult may be able to live in a large really useful box or something similar. This is much cheaper than buying a wooden viv until you have more time to save up. You'll then need all the same things as for a hatchling just slightly larger!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CORNS

IT IS GOING TO BE A HATCHLING AND MY STEP DAD IS GOING TO MAKE THE VIVARIUM
HOW UCH ARE GOOD THERMOSTATS

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
No need for shouting :lol:

OK if its a hatchling it wont need (and shouldnt have!) a full sized viv to start with, you are better off with a plastic faunarium to begin with.
The best thermostats are microclimates or habistats, for a hatchling you will have to heat with a heatmat so a mat stat will do fine.
Habistat mat stats are about £25

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
You'll need:

At least 2 hides
a water bowl
for a hatchling just use newspaper or kitchen roll for the flooring,
a thermostat
thermometer (hopefully with 2 probes, so you can tell temp on both ends, or inside and out)
feed bowl (optional)

I probably missed something lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

cheers dudes

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
thats it! a heatmat lol. You don't need a light to be honest, your light in your room should be fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
light

wel i think ill get a light just in case

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Dont use a light over the faunarium, leave that until its larger and in a proper viv or you will overheat the container very quickly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
names

and do you guys have any ideas of what i can call my snake

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
k

its a corn snake , dont know what specific type yet

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
tell you what mate. Wait until you get the snake, take a pic, post it on here and people might be able to suggest names for your snake.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol

ok i wont call it flake

thanks for all the great posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol