Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked these 2 up on monday but the previous owner wasn't sure exactly what they were other than snakes left behind by an ex partner.
she thought the black one was a corn and the stripey one a rat snake.
i'm thinking a black rat snake and possibly a bairds or yellow rat snake. sorry the pictures aren't all that great but they are settling in still. i just want to make sure i have stats set at correct temps for whatever they are.

firstly the male snake. 808g and about 5ish feet long. much bigger head than a corn. tail rattles and goes all kinky(not like that lol)when you go in the viv to change water. has spent the last 24 hours in his water bowl.

he has shadowing of saddles on his top and the underside is fairly dark but gets lighter and going white under his chin.

the second is the female.she has a much smaller head than the male but larger than a corn snakes head yellowish back colour with brown stripes. much smaller about 4 foot i think and fairly nippy. yes she got me several times lol. much thinner could be due to repeated mating. musks a lot too. seems fairly unsettled but she was housed with the much larger male for ten years so its quite understandable.

sorry for the long post. i look forward to knowing what these snakes are, thanks cath

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
aww the male could be a king like a mexi that's not all black or poss het cali kinda thing and that female looks to me like a lovely tai beauuuuty snake...?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I think your assessment of Black and Yellow Rats is correct. Good looking snakes too so lucky you, hope they do well for you.
Graham.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
(kings and beauties both being related to/kinds of rat snake)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
The black one is a black ratsnake (Pantherophis obsoletus obsoletus).
The orange/yellow one is either a yellow ratsnake (P. obsoletus quadrivittattus) or an Everglades ratsnake (P. obsoletus rossalini). Of course, she could be a cross between the two, also - but she's the spitting image of my Irwin, who was sold as an Everglades.

It is not possible for the black snake to be "het cali king" any more than it is possible for a human to be "het chimpanzee". California kingsnakes are a subspecies (and not even a subspecies of ratsnake).

The yellow one looks NOTHING like a Taiwanese beauty snake.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'll second Sshisto, but I reckon the bottom one (female) could be a Bairds Ratsnake

·
Registered
7,294 Posts

·
Registered
22,890 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
so what would a mexican black king snake be if one of it's parents/ancestors was a californian king?
It wouldn't be a Mexican Black Kingsnake- it would be a hybrid.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
so what would a mexican black king snake be if one of it's parents/ancestors was a californian king?
It would be "not a Mexican Black King at all".

It would be a Mexican Black X Cali King hybrid.

Mexi Blacks are Lampropeltis getulus nigrita; Calis are Lampropeltis getulus californiae.

A cross of the two is no longer either one - just like mixing a glass of Fanta and a glass of Coke means your glass is full of Mezzo Mix, not Coke OR Fanta any more.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The black one is a black ratsnake (Pantherophis obsoletus obsoletus).
The orange/yellow one is either a yellow ratsnake (P. obsoletus quadrivittattus) or an Everglades ratsnake (P. obsoletus rossalini). Of course, she could be a cross between the two, also - but she's the spitting image of my Irwin, who was sold as an Everglades.

It is not possible for the black snake to be "het cali king" any more than it is possible for a human to be "het chimpanzee". California kingsnakes are a subspecies (and not even a subspecies of ratsnake).

The yellow one looks NOTHING like a Taiwanese beauty snake.
What Sshe said :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Natrix

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Not a chance that's a bairds ;) No reason to think so at all!

I'm with Black rat and Yellow rat too, most everglades i've ever seen in person were at least orange yellow, to me a yellow is this sandy yellow, the black tongue says yellow rat. Obviously intergrades of everglades and yellows don't really help with this!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi, thanks for all the quick replies.

i've spent ages on google and you have confirmed what i had thought. so am i right in thinking care is similar to a corn but temps slightly lower. the black rat might like to climb but she will prefer a stoney arrid tank.
can i also confirm that they are now in seperate vivs and in quarantine.

and i agree they are absolutly stunning snakes. my daughter has already claimed the black rat snake as she was so blown away by him.

now that i know what they are do you have any hints on taming her down a bit. i have put her in a small viv with a moist hide on the cool end and a hide on the warm end. i can only fit a smallish water bowl in there and a branch for climbing if she wants too. she has spent a fair bit of time in the moist hide. she has stuck shed on her tail so i'm hoping this will be easily removed when she emerges. i did offer her a rat after 24 hours which she quickly scoffed. then she decided to have another go at me when i went to put her back in her viv. i always feed in a seperate tub.

·
Banned
3,970 Posts
could the first one be a black pine snake? i cant see the shape of the head very well but it could well be. the second is defo a yellow ratsnake.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
black rat... yellow rat...

simples...

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
First one the black rat snake definately - I have one and theyre identical - except mine has a fatter head lol

She LOVES climbing. We custim built her a viv so it was 4ft high so she can go on a roam. She has a favourite stick too :flrt:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts