Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an assingment for college and one of the animals I have chosen is a marmoset. I know absolutely nothing about them and there isn't alot of info on Google either.

So here are some questions:

What substrates do they need if any?
How often do they need cleaning out?
Is there anything apart from branches and toys that can provide environmental enrichment?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as im really struggling

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hello,

Substrate, alot of people use orchid bark if they want a natural enclosure or a soil. Or a mixture of the two, but alot of people will not use substrate making it easier to clean. These substrates are a part of the natural enrichment in searching for insects and foraging on the floor.

Cleaning should be daily really, a spot clean daily with a full clean once a week. One thing with cleaning, is to not clean everything in one go, as they scent mark. Cleaning everything in one go with remove all traces of scent and cause distress.

Enrichment comes from toys and branches and giving them plenty of stuff to investigate. Different food provide natural enrichments. The obvious main enrichment comes from interaction with their own kind and socializing. Wood with holes drilled in, filled with acacia gum and other stuff treats also keep them amused.

Just writing this reply quick of the top of my head, sure there is plenty i have missed. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you mmcdermid and youguys that have replied via pm too :) You have all helped loads :notworthy:

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Sunstrate in my inside aviary is shredded cardboard. It is light, cheap, absorbant, & is good for the marmosets to forage about in.

Enrichment formy pair comes in the form of branches, ropes, willow trellis, parrot toys (especially the ones that you can hide treats in), wicker dog bed, & home-made toys such as toilet roll tubes with folded ends to seal them & some treats placed inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts