Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had a call from a friend. Her cat has just come back in and is not quite right. Here is a list of symptoms -

* Hiding/timid/scared (Very unusual for this cat)
* Excessive Salivating, Foaming
* Fur is soaking from saliva
* Keeps passing wind
* Slightly sunken eyes
* White gums

Now i know what your thinking - get to the vets! She has called with no answer from both local vets. She is going to keep trying obviously but she needs to know what to do to keep Bailey comfortable in mean time.

I have googled and it does sound like dehydration but she is refusing to drink, and why the sudden shyness??

I am a little worried as we do have a spate of nasty people poisoning animals with antifreeze in the area :mad:

I also googled about poison and it said that there would be a slight smell of garlic to her breath. There isn't though.

Any ideas?

Nena

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
This is an emergency, if your friend wants the cat to live then she will find a vet with a 24 hour emergency service, pale gums mean the cat is in shock.
Im sorry to sound harsh but this really is an emergency

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts exactly. As i said she is still trying to get through.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
totally agree - more than anything else, the white gums symptom really scared me!

Do let us know what happens, please?

Poor cat and your poor friend.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
If that was me i'd be phoning round every vet in the yellow pages within a reasonable distance. The cat needs to go on a drip, it is in severe shock & if left untreated will die. Hope your friends gets it sorted quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update, she's a lot calmer and has had a little drink. Friends mum is now on the phone to vetfone. Still no joy with either of the local vets. I see a roadtrip this evening i think!

·
Registered
260 Posts
im srry but i recognised the symptoms and it sounds like the cat is in shock the best u can do is try to keep the cat warm and in the meantime either get some transport to a vets. But shes probs just had a brush with a car or something.its good that shes calm down a bit and had some fluids but if her gums are still white it means she not out of the wood yet. a freind of mine had the same thing with there cat and unfortunately it died within 3 hrs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts