Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm getting my first beardie in a few days and my viv drops to 15*C over night so i was told to get a ceramic bulb for over night. I have this viv VivExotic Viva Bearded Dragon Vivarium
And it's not got much space over the hot side of the viv so I have a few questions:
1) does the night time ceramic bulb need to be on the same side as the basking lamp (hot side) ?
2) do I need a heat guard and if so does it need to be big or can I get a small one that is about 1cm from touching the bottom of the bulb and 2-3 from the sides
3) how close can my beardie get to the bulb?

All help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hiya in my opinion, 15 is the very minimum it should be, and if you can situate the ceramic in the warmer side, although it can be tucked up in the corner, however saying that ive seen a lot where the ceramic is in the middle of the viv when its only on at night, and the stat is set to keep it at say between 18-21, if you did this it could in fairness stay on all the time as the middle of the viv should be warmer than this in the day anyway, so it can be left to just come into action once the basking lights out and keep the ambient air temp to a nice comfortable temp at night. 17 inches in height is very low so you will be best off with a heat guard but you may want a bit more than 1cm away from the actual; bulb as the guard will heat up slightly aswell although probably not a lot. I dont have a guard as my viv is 26 inches high and its not within climbing jumping distance to be fair, although when I build my custom background this may very well change. If the bulb is unguarded you certainly dont want your bearide being able to go near it just in case it gets a little too close and actually makes contact.

Hope this helps.

p.s if your interested its worth checking the hourly temps in Alice springs Australia throughout the night and look at some of the temps and the real feel temps recorded via this link. I find it useful.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/alice-springs/13726/hourly-weather-forecast/13726?hour=24

Reactions: Moogle

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
Reactions: Moogle

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
if your temps drop to 15 then you don't need to worry. Beardies come from areas of Australia such as Alice Springs, where it can drop way below that in winter.

If you Google 'alice springs temperature' you get https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a and that shows the current temperature of 16c and that's at 8am in summer......

good point its warm at first but it plummets as the night goes on. I think theyre coming to the end of their summer time now, as the sun is spending its time in the northern hemisphere (not that were seeing a lot of it lol).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :) the reason I got the ceramic was because I was told their temp shouldn't got below 20 and it was either ceramic of heat mat so I chose ceramic. Would the heat mat (12w or 20w) have been better although I heard it could burn them? Also how about a guard 1.5-2 cm away from the bottom of the bulb?

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
care sheets are just guides, so the low temperatures are really for prolonged periods of time. As long as you don't keep penguins in your viv at night you shouldn't have to worry about temperatures; as it's only for a few hours. When the lights come back on it's nice and warm again.
in winter, they have very cold nights and cold days, but in a viv it'll be cold and then hot again, so there's no real issue.

Heat mats are hit and miss. they only heat the immediate area so if you get a 1ft heat mat in a 4ft viv, there's only a 25% chance your beardie is going to sleep in that part of the viv... then it actually has to sleep on top of it.

I'm not a fan of bulb guards as they act as a climbing frame. heat bulbs should be far enough away for them to not get close; if you put a cage on it then there's something to help it to get too close.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never thought about it using the guard as a climbing frame, the ceramic bulb is about 11 - 15 cm from where the beardie could get to is this ok without a guard? Because the guard would only make it get closer?

P.s. thank you both for the websites :) their very useful

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If its 11-15cm from its highest possible point it can get on then it should be ok, plus if you do decide to use it at night then don't forget the beardie will be asleep whilst its on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I will probably only have it on at night and maybe an hour or 2 during mid day to make it more natural as in the wild the gets hotter at midday and then cools down, it went down to 14.4*C last night so do I definitely need the ceramic? Also can bearded dragons jump and if so how far?

·
Registered
458 Posts
We're getting 10~12C at the moment as overnight temps but that is an outdoors temp. Are you measuring the ambient temp indoors or using a weather bureau outdoors temp? If outdoors it's unlikely that the indoor temp is dropping that low and honestly around 16C is quite acceptable as an overnight temp.

Rick

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
That's a fine night temp, nothing to worry about. I wouldn't provide night time hearing unless it was dropping down to 10c. Try to get a refund I would.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts