how come it's urgent?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
oooooooo where about are you? exopets maybe able to help

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
my sons has died and i know he will be devestated if i tell him it has died he gets back from his dads in 4 days and so i need one pretty sharpish

i think your son is likely to notice its not the same dragon...

he may not want to replace it with another dragon just yet... maybe u could give him that choice... thats so sad his other one died:(

also replacing with a new dragon may mean more stress for him.. as a new dragon wont be used to him or a new viv.. and since his other pet has just died it might not be such a great idea to try introducing a totally different water dragon into his environment... new environments can make them go off their food or become nippy or stressed for the first short while.. this could possibly upset him also....

its also important you acertain how it died... was it an infection/ old age/ other reason such as change in living conditions...

i think perhaps now would be a good time to not JUST replace but let him know what happened and help him deal with that .. then perhaps suggest he could choose a new pet...

I know all this is very upsetting and sad but its worth thinking about dealing with it this way before you buy a new dragon

good luck

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I'm afraid I agree with sparkle. Water dragons can vary quite a lot in both appearance and personality.

How old is your son?

What if you find one, spend the £100 odd it'll probably cost.. then he notices, or the water dragon doesn't like him, lunges for him, bites him, is skittish, because it's going to be scared and confused.... then you'll have an animal he won't like because he'll know you lied to him and replaced it.

And if your water dragon was not appearing old and you don't know why they died, putting another one straight into the old enclosure could result in another sick water dragon. Best to remove everything, bleach the viv, let it dry and make sure there is nothing that could be passed on to the new animal.

It's thursday.. which means no TNT will be sent out really till Monday now.. so even if you find one on here, unless you can collect it locally, the very earliest you could get it would be Tuesday.

I would just be honest, kids have to learn about death one way or another.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
she was kept on her own in her own viv so there is no trouble with the others not liking her

thats not what im saying...

we have a female water dragon whos very nervous... as most WDs tend to be,. and shes VERY skitty around anyone escept me..

if the new WD has a totally different personailty than the other and different markings.. wont eat certain foods and has complete opposite behaviours than his old drgon he may become MUCH more upset than learning his other one passed away...

of course im not saying DONT buy another dragon.. but perhaps wait ...

if you are trying to pass off a new dragon as the old one and it doesnt work he will be really confused and feel he was lied to ( i speak from experience when i was aged 8 yrs old when someone tried replacing my rat that died when i was on holiday needless to say i wasnt pleased and never quite trusted my aunt again... )

Athravans right about bleaching the viv and allowing it to get rid of al fumes making sure theres no cross contamination JUST incase... :)

good luck anyway and have a wee think about it before you decide on the next step..

PS hope ure sons ok with whatever happens x

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I wouldnt replace it, its all part of the growing up experience learning about life and death and if your son finds out what happened to his original water dragon he may even recent the new one if not given time to grieve.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
u could suggest u have a wee memorial thing .. like planting a little bush or plant... or something similar... sounds daft but when losing a pet i think it helps if kids can focus their energies on DOING something...

hope it goes ok

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
like was said in the beginning find out the cause of death first not to up on wd s but id scrubb that viv and replace the decor good luck with ya son its not very nice when u lose a pet how old is ya son

1 - 15 of 15 Posts