Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feed hissy once a week now as he is now on rat pups he was going ok with them (3 feeds no probs) untill 2day he wont take it ive tried everything ive brained it put it in a tub with hissy and nothing its still there the only thing is its been in his viv for quite a while now so i thought i would take it out but he is hissing at me and is looking like hes gonna strike at me. Hes usually very placid and easy going so im a wee bit worried hes not in shed hes not due to shed nothings changed in his setup and he is usually a really good strike feeder so is there any thing i could do please help guys n gals if you can cheers :) :)

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Well i dunno what type of snake it is but sometimes snakes do an odd freaky quick shed or we just miss the obviously in shed phase so it may still be that OR it may just be a one off and something you don't know about happened and just stressed him out a bit. Just try leaving it a week and seeing what happens or leave food in the viv overnight to see if it gets picked up.

Rach

[EDIT] Just seen hissy is a royal and royals are well just a general pain in the bum more often than not lol feeding can and does dwindle this time of year i have one boy who stops eating october/november until july/august every year. I've just found tight packed enclosures and little to no handling keeps them feeding well until they just decide to go on a natural fast. If eating doesn't resume it'll be a good idea to keep check on weight by weighing weekly at clean outs so you don't interfere with him more than necessary and you can get an idea of how much if any weight has been lost over the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i find that i know within about 10 minutes whether my royal is going to feed or not! if your anything like me you've probably tried a bit to hard to get him to take it lol! i've known mine to drag a mouse into his hide but still leave it almost as if saving it for later! if i need to take it out i always use tongs just in case!! whenever mine doesn't feed i leave him completely alone for a whole week without handling just go in for water changes, her always feeds the following week! good luck,

neil

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
If mine strikes they will eat it... if theyre not interested they wont strike at all.. My male has only ever refused one feed though and other times he'll drop the mouse after striking and if I offer it again so he can strike he will take it the second time.. but royals can be difficult feeders so them not eating is nothing too much to worry about.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds just like mine - he behaves exactly as he does when he about to strike (comes out of the hide, head pulled back, etc) then just stops and sniffs the mouse/rat for a minute, and goes back to bed.

Try not to worry about it - just leave him a week then try again. On average over the past year mine (2 yrs old, 3ft long) has only had about 1 decent sized mouse per month (or the equivalent), but has still grown and put on weight.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry its taken me so long to reply back hissy ate the rat this morning yippeeeee i dont want to sound like im overly worried about him not taking it yesterday its just hissy was really sick with a bad infection a few months ago and its taken an awful lot of time and worrying to get him back to health hes my wee wain now so thanks again guys oh and just to ley you all know baby my newish brb is doing great shes a wee fatty now and doing great thanks again guys :notworthy:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Glad he's eaten for ya :) I know how worrying it is. I've never had problems so far with my BP or boa - but my hoggy's not eating at the moment - it's the time of year for her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts