Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have recently revived a pair of nerodia taxispilota (brown water snakes)
I was just wondering if any one in the UK has kept them before ad or bred them, so far i have only found 2 people in Europe that have bred them...
If so I would just like some tips on keeping and breeding them.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Hello I have recently revived a pair of nerodia taxispilota (brown water snakes)
I was just wondering if any one in the UK has kept them before ad or bred them, so far i have only found 2 people in Europe that have bred them...
There is a useful pdf for Nerodia on this webpage under publications.

Google Translate

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Nerodia used to be kept quite a bit, but rarely bred due to their reputation of being vicious, smelly and large litters. People didn't want to be stuck with loads of babies.
Most Nerodia need similar care, i.e. mainly fish diet, although some will happily take rodents, dry substrate, large water bowl, and brumation over winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi sam good choice on the brown`s,the more you hold them the less bitey they get.did you get them from coast to coast because they are small for wc water snakes, i know because i got some to.i start mine in a rub or small plastic tank at 21 or 23 temp or room temp and start to feed them little and often 2 to 3 days on worm trout or salmon with skin on and a pinch of nutrabol and when they are happy and growing well i move them to 2 ft tank and the size of the water bowl they will let you know,ie i have a green and she eats and sleeps in her bowl and i have banded`s that don`t go near theirs but to drink or poo,my diamond backs take their food to the water to eat and my adult brown will only take food from the water,so just saying not all water snakes have the same set up. but when they are small keep a eye out for blisters if you get them change out your set up and turn up the temp by 2 celsius and they seem to know to climb up things to dry hope this help`s

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hi sam good choice on the brown`s,the more you hold them the less bitey they get.did you get them from coast to coast because they are small for wc water snakes, i know because i got some to.i start mine in a rub or small plastic tank at 21 or 23 temp or room temp and start to feed them little and often 2 to 3 days on worm trout or salmon with skin on and a pinch of nutrabol and when they are happy and growing well i move them to 2 ft tank and the size of the water bowl they will let you know,ie i have a green and she eats and sleeps in her bowl and i have banded`s that don`t go near theirs but to drink or poo,my diamond backs take their food to the water to eat and my adult brown will only take food from the water,so just saying not all water snakes have the same set up. but when they are small keep a eye out for blisters if you get them change out your set up and turn up the temp by 2 celsius and they seem to know to climb up things to dry hope this help`s
^^^^
Good advice from Jay...he keeps a few (million) water snakes :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.