Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ifed my waterdragons about 3 hours ago, morio worms i a bowl and crix and locust loose in th viv, as alway. i returnd 20 mins ago to find terri laying dead on the floor with a morio worn tunneld out of her throat. when i turned the light on, because i saw her laying on the floor, it retreated back inside of her. i am so pissed, and really upset.

my advice is never feed worms. i read about crushing the heads but "experianced " keepers say not to bother becuse it is a myth, and they will eat them better if they are alive. tell that to my dead WD.

sorry for the language etc, but i am realy PO'ed, and upset.

why her?

trust me, dont feed beetle lavae they CAN kill your animal. they HAVE killed mine.

add for the record she was in perfect health, and came out for a cuddle just before feeding, she sat with me, and had a lil run around so she was fine.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks.

i just feel so damned stupid, i always suspected that they could still wiggle or bite, but just listened to others, adn left them as they were. i have just stamped on about 50 that i had, and this sux.

i beg you all please please dont use these as food, learn from my mistake, adn dont let your reps suffer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss :cry:

Maybe you should get your WD checked over, see what the cause of death was. If there was something else present it may save some of your other herps...

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
holy shit...
i believed it had happened... i even argues against it being merely myth.. BUT i wouldnt have thought it a problem as long as the animal chews before it swallows..having said tha lizards only chew for the same reason we do..to get it crunched up enough to swallow..doesnt guarentee the resiliant little basards are dead though...

you have been ver unlucky mate, im very sory.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
those things eat through plastic.they have really strong jaws and are pretty evil..that is pretty f'd up..

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
she was fine earlier, and now she has a hole i her throat wit a morio still in it. i even pulled the bugger out with tweesers because i didnt want to bury it with her. it was alive, missing 1cm of its tail, and another bite mark halfway down, but still thrashing around, and grabbing the tweesers, until i crushed its head, then it just wiggled for at least a min unti it joined its friends underfoot. i dont usually kill any animal, and i shouldnt have stamped on them, i was soo PO'ed. i have buried terrie now.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I was trying to get our chameleon to eat a pinkie last week so put a morio worm in my hand with the pinkie to attract the chameleon to the movement. The morio made of meal of the pinkies face within seconds. Ive been biten myself loads of times by morio worms.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i blew it all off as a myth also, thinking the gastric juices/acid etc would kill it, but apparently not. i will never again in my life buy a meal worm, or a morio worm and i am going to try toget my other WD onto a dry/tinned food,

the bottom line, is ANY livefood can harm ANY pet

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers for the kind thoughts guys, but i am going to leave this topic until 2moz now, i want to try to take my mind off of it, at least a little.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Can you get some proof of this, other than just seeing the animal feeding on a dead WD?

I'm sorry for your loss but i don't believe the worm was the cause.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So sorry for your loss man :(
We de-head the morios and meals at college for feeding time.
I've always thought what's the point?
But now I know. :(

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I've "investigated" several reports of this now.

Not one has been proven to be anything other than a worm feeding on a dead lizard.

The tendency is for people to see a worm eating, go to grab it and watching it dissapeer under the skin. At which point everyone assumes it has killed the lizard when infact it is just hiding in the same fashion it does when you try to grab it in a tub.

The most common animals this happens to are the smaller gecko species and, as seen here, water dragons.

The common denominator is the origin of the lizards which is nearly allways CF or WC.

To date i have seen no proof at all that this has happened as written.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've "investigated" several reports of this now.

Not one has been proven to be anything other than a worm feeding on a dead lizard.

The tendency is for people to see a worm eating, go to grab it and watching it dissapeer under the skin. At which point everyone assumes it has killed the lizard when infact it is just hiding in the same fashion it does when you try to grab it in a tub.

The most common animals this happens to are the smaller gecko species and, as seen here, water dragons.

The common denominator is the origin of the lizards which is nearly allways CF or WC.

To date i have seen no proof at all that this has happened as written.
Our college teaches us to crush the heads.
So obviously there must be a reason? :S

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i cannot "prove" it, but ill tell you what i found. i cannot take pics because she is already buried.

i enter the room to finde her on the floor. i move close andturn the flourecent tube on in the viv so i can see her properly. when the lightgoes on a morio backs its body into the wds throat. i sat for a moment taking it in, because it was a shock. i then picked up her body, and looked.

there was a tear in the skin, like a slit, just where the breast bone ends, in this slit is a morio.

i pull the bugger out with tweesers, 10 maybe 20 secs later, after getting them.

themorio was missing part of his tail, and he had a visable bite mark in the mid of his body. he then turned his body, and grabbe the tweesers with his legs.

there was a bit of blood on the inside, but virtually noe on the outside, the worm was crimson. i looked to see, and it is dark inside terri, but it looked as tho the osophogus was open (could be tracheia) and there was no obvious feeding. just a small hole i could see 1cm into, and a bloody(as in blood covered) morio.

there are wo possible casues of this.

1 the morio, as i expect, tunnele out of a healthy lizard
or
2 the heathy lizard detiriated in less than 3 hours, died, then a partially eaten morio came along and decided to eat its way into the stomach cavity of the WD.

there is another WD who shares the viv, and he is sitting with me now, and is fine, running around and perfectly normal, eating waxies from my hand atm(heads removed)

i dont really care if you belive me, or if you think i am wrong, i know what i think, and i know what i saw. i will beive, and always belive that a morio killed my WD, and i am saying this not to cause fear or panic, but so others dont lose their reps un-necassarily.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with respect retic, i know what i saw. my WDs are CB, and both have been perfectin the 6 moths they have lived with me. i got my first tub of morios last monday, and have been feeding them since.

terrie was not near the morios, in a bowl, 2 feet away, she may have been chewing one, killed over and it ate her, but i see this a very unlikely.

belive what you will, this is my view on what happened, and if you choose to accept it or not, it doesnt really matter, but i ask that you dont feed beetle lavea, and if you do,remove the head and legs, to be safe.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.