Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody!
Im in abit of a dilemma, ive just been given a leopard tortoise who is 3 years old. I have never kept a tortoise before and dont really know what im doing.
I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me some help with some questions?

What should i be feeding him?

How often should i bath him?

Ive been told to keep the uv and heat lamp on all day and then turn them off and keep the heat mat on all night, is this correct?

how often do they need exercise?

Thank you guys!! i really do appreciate all the help i can get

Many thanks,

Lauren

·
Registered
173 Posts
most people use a thermostat for the heat of the viv (lamp and heat mat) and the uv is normally 12-14 hours a day...other than that tortis like fruit and veg but not banana as it is heavy for them and you must be careful of what is available in the garden .... you need to find the right temp for the viv as well. The best thing to do is search the web for care sheet and don't just take the first one you look at as some will contradict others..... good luck

·
Registered
25,693 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hiya - if you post on the shelled section most of us tortoise guys are on there.

I can tell you what I do for my Leopards and others can give you info about theirs.

I feed mine on weeds and grass( there is a good weed guide on shelled stickys) - Romaine lettuce and cucumber only as a treat.

I bath mine every 2/3 days because they are quite big but some bath their smaller ones daily in a warm bath.

This is where my info will be different to others as my 3 are free roaming but they had an area with a 160 watt powersun uv bulb which I turn on at 7.00am they bask for about 3 hours then I feed them - if it is above 15oc in the garden they will go out about 11.00am. Others will need to advise you on temps ect for tortoise tables.

Again mine are free roaming and go out everyday when the weather is fine so they do get exercise - which is good for their leg muscles.

We all may vary slightly in our care but the basic - diet - heat - temps - hydration are usually the same.

Another thing you need to take into account is that Leopards are shy and can take a while to settle into a new environment - so dont be surprised if your little one is out of sorts for a few days.

Good luck with him/her Leopards are lovely tortoises.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
most people use a thermostat for the heat of the viv (lamp and heat mat) and the uv is normally 12-14 hours a day...other than that tortis like fruit and veg but not banana as it is heavy for them and you must be careful of what is available in the garden .... you need to find the right temp for the viv as well. The best thing to do is search the web for care sheet and don't just take the first one you look at as some will contradict others..... good luck
dont put it in a viv!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
I'm sure Andy will add you on msn and help you out alot!!!
Pm me for his Msn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts