Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got to watch our female monkey tailed skink give birth! it's the cutest thing i've ever seen! she'd been digging for the past couple of days so i thought it would be soon, but i never thought that we'd actually get to witness it.. i'm chuffed :lol: our first baby! lol we were going to sell it, but some how i dont think we will end up doing so... will let it settle in and then will try to get some pics

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
great news raver! One day i want to witness a lizard birth of some sort, like a beardie or something.

Nah don't sell him/her you'll get too attached and before you know it, he/she will be apart of the family.

Looking forward to pics :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Congrats on new baby,will keep an eye out for piccies. :thumb:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Id love to have seen it, cant wait to see some photos. Do you keep the baby with the mother when its a live birth?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes , you can seperate them if you wanted to, but it's best for the little one to stay in the family group
Corucia zebrata is a Scincidae species that has genetically put foward a great deal of genetic investment in the Viviparous birth of normally a single neonate after a 7.5 month gestation period. Consequently, the instinct to protect the young has evolved to be quite strong in this species and as a result, has created strong social bonds.Corucia zebrata is a rarity in the reptile world in that parental care is given. In addition, this species possesses a strong Circulus (reptilian social order)After the usually one large neonate is born, there is a noted parental instinct to protect the youngster. The female has the greater bond of the two. Indeed, for a several week period, the protective instinct develops into an extreme hormonal state- the Ferox Parona Phase {Latin: Ferox:warlike, spirited Patrona: goddess, protectress }orphaned young are readily adopted into the Circulus. In one instance, several GFO's (Gravid female Obtained) Young were rescued by the Southern Florida Corucia Research Center from a California importer who was holding WC (wild caught) female Corucia to separate the young at birth for greater profit. The four young arrived stressed and agitated. After much deliberation, it was decided to place the four in an established Circulus enclosure (SFCRC C99-1). This Circulus consisted of one male (SFCRC 9901) and two females (SFCRC 9902, SFCRC 9903). SFCRC 9903 was the alpha female and was gravid at the time. The young were immediately accepted by all members which much tonque flickering. the young will snuggle under on top of both the mother and father. Based on this and other behavioral observations, Corucia young should remain in the Circulus for at least 3 years prior to separation. To remove the young before hand invariably results in high stress and irritability in the young.Once a Circulus is established (With the exception of GFO's), it can be very difficult to add any new members.
sorry that was abit of a long quote but i think its the best explaination i've found so far....

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
tombraider said:
Id love to have seen it, cant wait to see some photos. Do you keep the baby with the mother when its a live birth?
WOW!

tomraider! Where did you make that sign?? Thats fecking awesome!

Sorry to jump on your thread raver with something competley unrelated! but congrats on your baby! I got some eggs incubating and gotta feeling I'm not gonna want to sell any of them... :oops:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
welshgaz said:
Thanks I think so too :D Little linnies fiance made it for me. Hes made me 2 so I can swap them about when i get bored :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
tombraider said:
welshgaz said:
Thanks I think so too :D Little linnies fiance made it for me. Hes made me 2 so I can swap them about when i get bored :lol:
Can I borrow one? :lol: :lol: :lol: Long live the Hoff!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
you will have to change your name to tombraider too then cause they both have my name on :lol: Im sure if you ask littlelinnie nicely enough she will get one made for you too :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
xraverxbabyx said:
yes , you can seperate them if you wanted to, but it's best for the little one to stay in the family group
My yellow spotted night lizard gives birth to live lizards but the mother eats them if thier not seperated sometimes. Im not sure what sex mine is but males are really rare and the females dont need to mate to reproduce so I have to keep checking just incase because it lives under wood and rocks most of the time so i rarely see it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
welshgaz said:
Think I might be doing that 8)

Hey rich said he will be more than happy to make you one, specially for a fellow welsh man, lol let me know what pic you would like on it and he'll make it! I know I am his fiance but hes ace and he loves making them!:)

p.s loving the sig maxine!:)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
tombraider said:
littlelinnnies said:
Aww thanks again to your fiance for making it for me :D

thats okay maxine he loves making them he spent like 8 hours making this one for a girl on his site, its ace! he just loves making them!:) so glad you like it, whenever I see it on the site is totally cracks me up! :lol: I want him to make one with don't hassel the hoff on for me! :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
littlelinnnies said:
welshgaz said:
Hey rich said he will be more than happy to make you one, specially for a fellow welsh man, lol let me know what pic you would like on it and he'll make it! I know I am his fiance but hes ace and he loves making them!:)

Quality! Hey what software package does he use to generate the video to the gif image?

Thanks a bunch tho!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
welshgaz said:
littlelinnnies said:
welshgaz said:

Quality! Hey what software package does he use to generate the video to the gif image?

Thanks a bunch tho!

haven't got a clue you might aswell be talking in french but I'll ask him when he gets in! hes making yours tonight so you are first on his list!:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the little one is quite friendly! doesnt seem scared of us at all, still exploring it's new enviroment, we got it out to weigh and measure it and it was quite happy to climb around on us, taking in new scents. its 10 inches, and weighs just under 100g heres some pics of the little un!
heres mum and dad:

and heres their little bundle of joy!: :lol:

sorry the pictures aren't too good, only have 3mega pixel camera phone to take pics with

1 - 20 of 22 Posts