Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this snake owning thing is becoming very addictive :ROFLMAO: today I've added my 3rd baby another female she'll be 4 months old on the 26th hatch date is 26-7-2021 she was listed by the reptile store that I bought her from as a (Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery) I've added a few pictures and would like another opinion on her morph,

Also I've named her Ruby. :)

Snake Reptile Jaw Corn Snake Scaled reptile

Wood Decapoda Wrist Safety glove Cuisine

Corn Snake Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Finger

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hypo definitely. As for the hets, you will never know unless you breed with another corn that has either the same hets or is visual for those morphs. Pairing to a visual is better as you know 100% that the genes are there.
Again thanks Ian big help as always I don't plan to breed so I guess I'll never know if she has het in her but I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea on the blood red aspect, but the grey head probably says yes.
And if you did breed, I can guarantee there will be a whole load of hidden and unknown hets buried away.
When I got myself some new corns, years ago, I bought 2 males, 2 females.
Ghost, vanishing stripe anery, snow and hypo I think they were.
I had some VERY interesting hatchlings that were never properly identified.
Interesting I'd consider breeding at some point but I'm just unsure how to go about the whole after she has layed her eggs situation do I incubate or just stick them in a rack with the correct temp and wait it out?

This is why I'm unsure I'd love to breed at some point but currently with very little intake of infomation about how to go about doing it I'm not confident enough in myself to do so as I don't want to risk the lives of the babies,

I've got plenty of time to do a lot of research she's closing in on 4 months old but I'd be interested to see what she could produce.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breeding corns is really simple.
You will need an incubator. Previously I used a Herp Nursery 2, it lasted me several years and was perfect.
You can also make your own using a polybox, heat mat, matstat, digital thermostat, two strips of wood and an ice cream tub.
Get it all set up to run at 28C, with an incubation medium of vermiculite and water, premixed with hot water and vermiculite at a ratio of 1:1 by volume, the squeeze out excess water. The hot water is to ensure that the vermiculite is sterile.
Leave it to cool, then put the medium in the ice cream tub, which goes inside the polybox.
You put the heat mat on the bottom of the box, and two thin strips of wood across that. The ice cream tub with a few inches of medium is sat across the wood. Put the stat and thermostat probes inside the tub, put the polybox lid on, and turn it on.
This will take several days to stabilise so prepare in advance.
Just change the air weekly once up and running.
When the eggs are laid, carefully move from the laying box to the incubator without moving the position of the eggs.
About 60 days later you will be greeted by baby snakes.
At 4 months old, you have at least 2 years before even thinking about breeding.
I'm glad I've got about 2 years before even thinking about it that was a lot of infomation to take in but thank you for explaining it to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first time I bred corns back in the mid 90's I used an old 1ltr ice cream tub, half filled with vermiculite that was mixed 1:1 by weight with water, but with the excess squeezed out of it. Once the female had laid upwards of 30 eggs the tub was removed, sealed with just a couple of air holes and placed in the airing cupboard as I had no purpose built incubator. Twice a day the water came on, and the well insulated tank kept the cupboard at a reasonable temperature... two months later the tub was full of baby snakes !!

Now I'm not suggesting that's how you should incubate the eggs... but it worked for me and over 200 snakes were produced that way (mostly Corns, but also Gt Plains, and Bairds)...
Maybe one day I'll give it a go but I'm happy just owning these amazing animals,

Also thank you for explaining the more infomation I gain from you guys helps me out so thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts