Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had my berdaie about 6 months now and he's now about a year old,
this morning i puchased another beardie a female roughly the same age and same size (she is slightly longer)
I went to put her in and Izzy went mental trying bite her on the back by her legs and i had to take her out immediatley,
At the moment she is in another viv (which i really haven't got space for on the dinner room table)
Any ideas why he's acting like this and is there any chance of them living together or am i going have to sell one (which i really dont want to have to do!)

Any help is really appreciated

James

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
keeping a male and a female together isnt the best idea unless u have a few female's. Also you dont want to just introduce another lizard straight away, it take's time first of slowly introducing her by haivng 2 tanks together and then eventually letting them spend time together under close supervision eventually if they get on putting them together. Then again i've never kept beardies but this was how i introduced of animals i have had somtimes its succesfull others its not.

Spike

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
try again mate.
Firstly i think u need to let her settle on her own ,the stress of comin to a new home is enough without being put in with a dominant male beardie.

Once she is settled and is ok with you then try again, would have thought it would be more mouthing off than actual attacking though, however you never know.
at the end of the day, he has his viv, u are now introducing an intruder into that space, he isnt gona be particlarly happy about it... even if he eventually ends up giving her one ;)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Id take everything out of the viv and re set it up differently. Id then put the new female in the viv first . maybe leave overnight then introduce the male back to the viv hoping the new set up will have took away the instinct to defend "his" space.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning i faced the two viv's to see how they reacted and she just sat there normal and Izzy was going mental trying to get out of the cage and get at her, i had to move her viv before he hurt himself climbing over things.
She still isn't settled i don't think as she aint ate anything since i got her yesterday.
Gettin desperate now i don't want to have to sell her so soon :-(
Izzy has completely changed since he's seen her his beard is always black, he's head bobbing which he's never done before, he puffed his beard at me yesterday and he aint eating like he normally does ?!?!
Any last suggestions please ????
James

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
firstly can i say be patient shes gonna be a bit stressed havin a new home etc and hes just gonna be like"wow a female!!!" (typical male) :D dont sell 1 if u dont want to.it will happen and u will get them both to live together.eventually.a male will bite a female usually the neck he will be domanant as far as i can see he sounds like a male beardy doing wat they do best.(being randy little buggers) :lol:
try try try again :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing that worried me is he bit her by the back leg and refused to let go i had to pull him off her :s
He's gone all cobbed up at me now lol
J

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
sounds like he has the severe case of the horn.lol :lol: :lol: is she definately a female?? if she is i really wouldnt worry be patient hes doing the right thing. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea she's defo female she's got a long pointy tail and a red beard ain't looked underneath cuz don't really know what look for and don't want ahndle too much yet want her settle in first,
Izzy is perkin up abit now just washed his viv out and he's lookin more with it (he did a massive poo and i'll feel better after gettin that one out!)
J

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok what else is there i can check ?
her face is alot thinner then Izzy's i read that this is another feature of a female ?
J

·
Registered
632 Posts
its always a good idea to introdue animals in a nuteral territory, this way your not going to have your male beardie protecting his turff!!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
heym, our male is currently kicking our females arse a lot, which is sad but somewhat natural.

yeh its scary when they grab limbs and bite, we have had our female do it to the male a lot before he finally started dominating.

BUT goldie [our female] has no other stress, ie new home so i thinik best to leave it up to a month maybe if u can so she can actually form a bond with you to an extent and feel less scared were applicable.

You could just chuck her in thier but i dont think id have the heart to.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well she's finally ate sometihng this morning wihch is great to see,
Izzy has calmed down abit over past few days and seems be almost back to normal,
i'm handling them both seperate at moment and as soon as she's fully settled i will start slowly introducin them in nuteral territory,
J

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi,
just wanted say i have had a look and she's definatley a she which is good :D
Izzy calmed down for a few days but i showed Izzy my female earlier by putting him by the viv and when he got back in his he puffed up and started bitting his log which he's never done before ???
Goin try introduce them this weekend in the living room then mess his viv up with different things and leave her in over night and put him in, in the morning and see how they go on.
That seem ok???
Still desperate for any more help anyone can offer ??
Cheers for all the help so far.
J

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
if shes defo a female then i would just introduce them and move her in his viv.he will bite her its what they do.it does look bad to watch but honest its cool. :) be brave lol :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
a male beardie's chin will go black when they want to mate, same as the bobing of the head. its what they do mine does it all the time. check to see how she respondes to this if she is doing similar bobing but alot slower she is accepting it. go with it i just got my male 5 weeks ago and i put them right in together. and well now she is ready to lay eggs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts