Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, well finally got the Beardie I've always wanted, he's eleven months old and was bought with his viv.
I'm having a few problems with the set up as it is. the viv is 4x2x2 and was set up with a 10% UV bulb 17" in from one end and a 60 watt spot bulb about 8" in from the other end, both bulbs fitted to the roof of the viv and so about 20" from the floor. When I got him the basking temp when measured was around 85%F at the basking spot and in the 60's at the cool and with an ambient temp of 70 - 75 at the hot end. Too cool, yes?
He ate the first day but then regurgetated his food the second day, that's when I measured the temps. He also went off his food.
After raising the basking spot and not getting hot enough I changed to a 100 watt bulb with a basking spot raised to 7" off the floor (rock). I've now got the temps to average of 95%F under basking spot, ambient hot end high 80's and cool end ambient around low 70's still a bit on the cool end, yes?
He is now eating crickets but won't eat much greens at all only a little if you hand feed him. He had the runs Friday but things seem to have firmed up now. He is now much livelier but won't chase the crickets around but will eat if hand fed but at least he's eating.
Right here are my questions, would appreciate some feedback on the best things to do.

1. Should I put a 150 watt bulb in to get a higher temp? Does anyone else need such a high wattage bulb in a 4x2x2 viv?

2. I think the UV bulb where it is is too far away from him, am I right? if so could I put in 10% UV strip, half way down the back wall as well as the bulb, or would that be too much UV or should I put in the strip UV and change the UV bulb to a low energy bulb just for extra brightness, or just take it out altogether?

I've bought a dimming stat. but not much good at the moment until I get this sorted. I know things should have been right before I bought him but as this was his viv I assumed the temps would have been correct. Sorry for the 'War and Peace' but wanted to give as much info as possible.
Look forward to hearing your replies.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
The basking spot should be between 100-110 degrees, thats what mine is and my beardies love it. As long as the temperature doesn't drop below 65 at night it should be ok, if it does just put a heat mat in the viv, but on the side wall not on the floor.

I'v read before that the UV strip should be between 6"-10" from the beardie, so I would work out a way of getting it closer to the beardie.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
here's a picture of my viv, I'v not had any problems, apart from an ear infection in 1 of my beardies!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Get 2 thermostats one for the hot and cool end, and a timer for the basking bulb, just because its an easy way out and the lights should be on for 8 hours a day at least, and yes the uv light should be from 6" - 12" away from the beardie is self, but also the uv light is to small, for a viv that is 4 ft in length i pressume then the uv light should ideally be around 48" and goes diagonally across the viv, so he gets as much as he needs, basking bulb is to low from 100 - 110, but other then that is should be all good.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Vwuah nice viv jamie, like the back drop, question do the crickets crawl behind it? or have you secured it to make sure they cant?

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Vwuah nice viv jamie, like the back drop, question do the crickets crawl behind it? or have you secured it to make sure they cant?
The crickets dont get that far in to the viv, they get munched pretty quickly!! but yes i have sealed it with good old celotape.

Thanks for liking my viv!! :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ahh thankies, i ask because i am thinking about getting a backdrop and wanted to see how other people make sure the crickets dont get behind it, i wish my beardie would them as quickly as he does locusts :lol2:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, will need to put in a tube, bought a 48" one but wanted to check before I put it in. If I leave the other bulb in as well will it give too much UV, or should I change it for an ordinary bulb to keep it bright?
I see you use a reflector Jamie, I though of that as it would concentrate the heat more but would it also make the cool end cooler than it already is?
Loved the back drop too, I was looking at that one the other day but it's only 18" deep so would need to 'fill' the other 6" with something.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Thanks, will need to put in a tube, bought a 48" one but wanted to check before I put it in. If I leave the other bulb in as well will it give too much UV, or should I change it for an ordinary bulb to keep it bright?
I see you use a reflector Jamie, I though of that as it would concentrate the heat more but would it also make the cool end cooler than it already is?
Loved the back drop too, I was looking at that one the other day but it's only 18" deep so would need to 'fill' the other 6" with something.
My backdrop is about 3" from the top of the viv, but you just dont notice it unless you look for it.

I'm not sure what effect the reflector has on the cooler end, at the hot end of my viv is at the top end of the scale at 110, and my beardies thrive in there!

I have a long reflector behind my UV strip to maximise the UV output.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Am I reading you right that your UV light does not go the full length of the viv? If so, I'd get one that does. Where is your stat probe? Best place for it is at the cool end. You shouldn't need a larger lamp in a 4ft, may just be a case of playing about with your stat probe to make sure its allowing the temp up high enough at the basking end.

You have an 11 month old beardie - do you know what it has been eating? If it has been fed on locusts it won't look very kindly on being given crix - for adult beardies these aren't much of a meal. As he gets older he'll be going onto abot 75% veg, so make sure you always give him veg as well.

If you have only just moved him to your home he'll be a bit stressed, even though it's the same viv as he has always been in. As long as you can get your temps right, don't worry about him not eating much for a few days.

If he looks healthy, then the set up must have been right for the original owner - I think it's more a case of playing around with what you've got to get it right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am I reading you right that your UV light does not go the full length of the viv? If so, I'd get one that does. Where is your stat probe? Best place for it is at the cool end. You shouldn't need a larger lamp in a 4ft, may just be a case of playing about with your stat probe to make sure its allowing the temp up high enough at the basking end.

No it doesn't, it's a compact bulb fitted to the roof of the viv, have been out and bought a 36" one to fit. What I want to know is can I leave the other one in as well? or should I change it for something else or leave it out altogether, the present UV bulb that is. I haven't used a stat yet as the temp. is not high enough as it is without a stat, but I have one ready to use.

You have an 11 month old beardie - do you know what it has been eating? If it has been fed on locusts it won't look very kindly on being given crix - for adult beardies these aren't much of a meal. As he gets older he'll be going onto abot 75% veg, so make sure you always give him veg as well.

He has been fed on both crickets and locusts, and veg, which is what I'm giving him now, the veg is fresh every day and left in all day and removed at night. He is now eating the crickets and locusts it's just the veg he's not eating. I understand he is stressed from moving and he does seem much better now the temps have improved but they're not right yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry that last bit is confusing, I thought by cut and paste it would go blue but now I see there is a quote button, sorry if that last post is confusing :lol2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts