Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a beardie on sunday, she is 6months old.

i have run out of insects n cant get any until tomoz morning, what could i use as a meat source till the morning.
i asked bout feeding her fish till then n some1 got abit funny with me, please remember im new 2 this n im still learning

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
One day without live at his age will not harm him at all. Give him finely chopped up veg as normal.

Dont be tempted to give him anything else like chicken / fish etc. It will do more harm than good.

Have a look at this nutrition chart if you havent already, it a great list of things you can feed (an not feed) your beardie.

Nutrition Content

If you tell us all what your viv / heating / lighting etc is, and post pics if you can, then we cah help you by double checking it all and seeing if there are any problems you may have overlooked.

Welcome to RFUK also. Stick around, they guys on here are very helpful.

·
Registered
514 Posts
cat food, chunks in jelly. rabbit, chicken, lamb or beef. you will have to pluck out the meat chunks and feed them with a cocktail stick or tweezers, as they will unlikely see it as food straight away. as long as they are fit and healthy and eating their veg then going a day without livefood is not going to harm them

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
cat food, chunks in jelly. rabbit, chicken, lamb or beef. you will have to pluck out the meat chunks and feed them with a cocktail stick or tweezers, as they will unlikely see it as food straight away. as long as they are fit and healthy and eating their veg then going a day without livefood is not going to harm them

hmm sorry but I'd probably disagree with that. From what I could see they were really high in proteins and phosphates etc and arent recommended. More so I would think with tinned food since the pet industry puts all sorts of chemicals in to strip the meat off the bones to make it. Then the preservatives etc also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jetski u come out your coffin early lol, ill see what i can do for later. how r they today? x

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Will be fine without for a day, alot of keepers practice 'starve days' to encourage them to eat when its available :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
As above one or two days without insects at that age will do no harm. Just keep the veggies going in.

As above tell us about the viv and set up just in case you have forgotten anything.

DO NOT FEED CAT FOOD / DOG FOOD.

P

·
Registered
769 Posts

I wouldn't feed any of that to a beardie:whip:

Op your better of not feeding any thing for a day(except veg), I always miss one day a week when feeding my beardie.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
514 Posts
no chemicals are used to "strip the bones" its mrm or mechanically recovered meat. carcasses are put in rams to recover extra meat. why are you all against cat food? have you had bad experiences with it? I used to use it fairly regular with a bearded dragon I had a few years back. he would only have a few chunks at a time but he was always fighting fit, never had an off day. I'm not saying cat food should be fed every day but now and then as emergency food in my opinion is totally fine. anyone is welcome to try to change my opinion obviously. it would be welcomed

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
no chemicals are used to "strip the bones" its mrm or mechanically recovered meat. carcasses are put in rams to recover extra meat. why are you all against cat food? have you had bad experiences with it? I used to use it fairly regular with a bearded dragon I had a few years back. he would only have a few chunks at a time but he was always fighting fit, never had an off day. I'm not saying cat food should be fed every day but now and then as emergency food in my opinion is totally fine. anyone is welcome to try to change my opinion obviously. it would be welcomed

You ever been into a pet food factory? I have.

If you see the amount of chemicals they put in that stuff you'd never even feed it to a cat, nevermind a BD.

Yes they do use chemicals to strip the meat, before its put into the mechanical strippers they are dipped into vats of chemicals to loosen the meat off the bones.

The preservatives alone are enough to tar a road with.

I balk at feeding my dogs on tinned food, would never dream of giving those kinds of preservatives to a BD.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I find all that a little dramatic, Ill believe it when I see it. the pet food industry have stricter guidelines than human food. like I said before I looked after a bearded dragon for a friend for 3 years and he had cat food fairly regularly and he never had an ailment once in that time. I'm not saying its particularly good for bds but fed in moderation it is certainly not going to cause any harm.
don't have a blanket fear of chemicals either, everything contains chemicals, man made and natural things

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
This is getting a bit extreme considering we're talking about a one-off feed! Personally, I would just feed veg and miss the live food for a day. As said, it won't do any harm. Cat food is designed for cats (hate to point this out:lol2:). However, it doesn't mean that a beardie will come to any great harm if fed this occasionally. Also, think of the lovely shine his coat will have afterwards:lol2:.

I've given mine a pinky before and he loved it. It's not something I would do often, but I'm sure that in the wild they will eat pretty much anything they can find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right i have tried this and Eclipse loved it, i can't argue against it until i have tried it. she is still in great health. if you try before and if you have tried it and can prove that there is a problem with this then i will take your comments on board. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, according to my 'Beardie' Bible, cat or dog food is ok in emergencies. Myself, I wouldn't feed my Draco this UNLESS it was an emergency, but i personally see no harm in it. It might even be beneficial as an occaisional treat perhaps...

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Which 'beardie bible' is that?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this nicnet but I'm afraid your wrong about cat food. I have fed bearded dragons on cat food on a fairly regular bases and no negative effects have happened. they love it if I'm honest I don't believe you have been in a pet food plant. no pet food plant buys their own animals and slaughters them on the premises, or buys in their own carcasses to put in their own mrm rams. that happens in slaughter houses and meat processing plants and then pet food factories buy in their meat and mrm. saying that pet food factories extract their own mrm from carcasses on their own premises just tells me your making it up. sorry to be so frank. nothing personal

1 - 20 of 71 Posts