Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the beardies into their new viv, 4 x 2 x 2, there is UVB in there but you can't see it from this angle. A bit sparse at the moment, need to get some more decorations and a nice moss/soil box in there.

Their old 3 x 18 x 18 viv goes to some leopard geckos I bought today.

Getting 2 ATB's soon, watch out for pics of their vivs shortly! :smile:

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS. Viv cost about £40 to make + £5 for the tiling.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
wicked, me and my bf are gonna have a go at making one soon. i want a 4ft high, by 3x2, for my basilisks. so hopefully it should only be about £50 :D

where did you get the glass from? because your supplier would be close enough for me to get to as well :)

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Velindre Glass in Whitchurch Cardiff their website with phone number and address on it is Velindre Glass, Whitchurch, Cardiff I think it is about £10 per sheet of toughened glass and that's 2 3 or 4 foot long, it's the same price. It's about half for not toughened. They usually get the glass back to me in 24 hours but sometimes 48 hours.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
very nice set up there mate

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
wicked, thanks! we're going to have a go at a viv with small glass panels at the bottom, and then taller panels from a foot up. should make routine maintenence easier, without basilisks escaping everywhere lol

should be really cheap with that supplier! thanks!

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds a little like my water dragon viv maybe, will upload a pic in a sec, it needs a makeover though so apologies in advance.

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is how I keep my Wd's, not sure if it's similar to what you're thinking of. Has 2 sets of UVB and 2 sets of basking lights, only one heat mat underneath the water. Shelf in the middle but only half way across, so they could bask in or out of the water. Needs redecorating really. I found that using glass panels at top and bottom really helped.

Sorry about the glare from the top UVB, couldn't really filter it out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, thats exactly it :)

i was going to buy a flat-pack cham viv, but its going to be half the price to make one, and my boyfriend is itching to have a go at making one, bless him! slightly worried though, as i'll be forking the money out, and if it goes wrong, its a big fat waste of money and time :S

did you make that WD viv?

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah.. I pretty much never buy vivs anymore. My mother is like, Super DIY crazy person, she does all the cutting for me with her table saw, even cutting the tiles.. that's the hardest bit, getting the measurements right and then cutting it straight. If you buy from B&Q they'll do that bit for you. Measuring the glass can be tricky too cos if it's the wrong size you're a bit stuck but as long as all the measurements are precise making the vivs themselves are pretty easy :smile:

The hardest bit for me was finding handles for the glass in the end because all the B&Q's in cardiff stopped selling them and even the glass cutter doesn't do them anymore - had to buy online.

I get my runners from a shop in Penarth - will have to try and go find the contact details, because they're about half the price of B&Q and most DIY stores.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, i'll buy the wood precut, save any mess-ups there!
should just be a case of screwing/glueing the wood together then, and i'll just have to hope the glass fits when i measure it!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looks awesome mate nice work,
Inspired me too make my next one,
I really like the split design only thing is i don't like putting my beardie's on sand so myt use chipping or something else,
What's the tiles like for cleaning ?
Cheers and keep up good work beardie's look very nice and healthy
J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts