Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a little bearded dragon yesterday 8 weeks old. This has probably been asked somewhere else but I can't find it. Has any one got any tips on when to start handling the dragon? And how should I hold him? Also the man in the shop said he eats 10 crickets in the morning and 10 in the afternoon, but he has only eaten a couple since yesterday afternoon. However he has eaten all his greens. Shall I mist the dragon? I was told "Don't spray the dragon, he won't have his towel on him." Sprayed the wall like he said but Sydney didn't seem intrested.

Ducks_rule

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you don't need to spray his viv, bds are desert dwelling reps, who live in an area where moisture is rare.

Good to see he's eating his greens, thats a good thing to see, what veggies do you feed him?

There are different views on this but for me, you don't need to mist your bd unless its shedding (misting can help) or if he/she seems dehydrated.

Handling, although beardies are naturally tame reps, is generally a slow process and requires patience, especially with a young beardie.

I started off by simply placing my hand on the other side of the viv. My beardie at first was freaked out but after a while, got used to my hand.
You can take different steps one after another when you think your bd has got used to you. Try to refrain from directly staring at them for long periods of time - animals don't like that.

-Move your hand on the same side of the viv as your bd.
-Gently touch and stroke with their tail, casually.
-Work your way to gently stroking their body.
- Move onto touching the head.

Remember every bd with have its own way in which it responds to you. It could take a week or so, or it could take months it just depends.

Another helpful tip is to make sure you are the only person who mainly feeds the bd, so they associate you with food (they will learn not to bite the hand that feeds them)

Phew thats a big post lol soz hope you find it helpful

8) Neo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you neo that did help a lot. We only put a little bit in today it was tesco rocket salad, hope that's ok it didnt contain anything that the man said not to give him. Not eatin crickets though. How would you suggest I give him water? We only have a large dog bowl which would be too big to give him water. Thank you for your help

DR

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi don't know if this is the best thing but I bonded with our baby BD by hand feeding her crix. You can pick em up with your fingers or (if you're fussy) with handling tongs you can get from the herp stores. She's learned to sit on my hand to get a couple of crix, then she hunts the rest down for herself. :)
The idea of being associated with food is a fair one.
I mist my BD & my desert agamas once (lightly) every morning, to simulate dew fall which does happen in deserts and provides fluid for lizards living there. BDs get fluid from greens too. When our lizzies shed, we bathe them twice a week to stop them from getting bands of stubborn skin around their toes.
:D You're going to love getting to know your BD! Ours soon learned that we are the food fetchers and is always pleased to see our hands in the viv now. She comes to the front of the viv & waves when she wants us! It's sooo cute! 8)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
rocket is my beardies favourite green food. I spray water onto their salad before feeding. I never spray the viv. Give him a few days to settle in before his appetite returns. Think one of mine took as long as 2 weeks before he started eating fully.

As for handling I didnt have any problems holding any of my beardies from day one. try putting your hand infront of him and see if he will climb on, you may be surprised to see him happily jump on and run up your shoulder. :D

I let everyone feed mine, as long as im there of course. In return my beardies love everyone. :D

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
bribery works wonders with my two. A little water cress and they wander right up to my wrist and before they know it they are sat on my hand and will quite happily wander up my arm and sit on my shoulder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well put 5 crikets in there this mornin and he ate them straight away, even ate a dead one off dad's finger yesterday when he thought it was moving. Going to put some more in soon because as soon as he noticed them he ate them straight away.

Thank you for your tips they're all very helpful

·
Registered
105 Posts
wel when i got mine, he was about that age and i handled him every otherday for aprox 15 min
Joe

·
Registered
250 Posts
mine was a bit older when i started handling but i went all out and handled him every day for 20 minutes regradless of whether he wanted to. he is really tame now and i have had him a month and he will let me do anything without a blink of an eyelid.

i think its down to the temperment of your BD but if it gets to know you young then it will see you as its mummy :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might have to start doing something, even if I sit in the chair near the viv and he's on the log he gets really scared if I stand up. Doesn't mind me being in there if he's being fed though. Run and hid under log when we put his crikets in there and only ate them when dad was feeding them to him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New dilema, if the crikets are left in the tank over night will they cause lots of damage? I know that they cause damage but they're 1/3. The piece of wood that is in there is just the right size for the beardie but there are holes in there so the crikets hide and we can't find them! HELP!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Crickets

When i had a couple of wooden logs in for my bdy to climb on, after about 2 weeks, crickets had burried them selves in so he couldn't get them.
i went for rocks instead and it works a treat.
and if your still having trouble picking your bdy up, try leaving your hand in, and picking him from the side. once they've been out several times its no prob :)

Tommy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts