Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all im thinking of getting a cham not sure what yet as i want a few questions answered before i make up my mind.

1. which type are more active for looking at as i no u shouldnt really handle them.

2.prefurably a hardy one that dont stress too easy.

3. also im thinking of getting a flexarium for it but how do i go about adding uv and heat lamp without burning the mesh to hell.

also this question is just curiosity more than anything .some pics i see on sites show some chams really bright blue/orange etc yet non of the cage ornimants are these colours so why do they change like that cos i thought it was all to do with trying on to be seen. not very inconspicuos being bright blue in a dark green/brown viv.

anyone og any pics of set ups and chams etc

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
apparantley chams dont change colour to there surroundings,its to do with if they are happy,sad,hungry etc

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
very rare that they change colours to match surroundings like mike said all to do with the mood they are in..

not being nasty but if you are asking those kinda questions you really need to do some more research..

look up yemens/veiled chameleons Chamealeo calyptratus...

if you haven't kept lizards before DO NOT get a cham..you will have problems...unless you are lucky...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
very rare that they change colours to match surroundings like mike said all to do with the mood they are in..

not being nasty but if you are asking those kinda questions you really need to do some more research..

look up yemens/veiled chameleons Chamealeo calyptratus...

if you haven't kept lizards before DO NOT get a cham..you will have problems...unless you are lucky...

they are tempremental,when i first got mine i had a few probs it wasnt eating properly but thanks to belial i got some good advice.it was due to mine being stressed,it hadnt been in the shop long maybe over a day then moved it to my viv think the stress got on top of it,now its settled in its fine getting really big now

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have kept lizards before had beardies and various geckos also caught a wild cham with a mate when i lived in cyprus and looked after that for a while till we let it go, (was alot younger than i am now) and have 2 snakes currently iv been after a cham for ages just never got round to geting one but now i have some spare dollar i can afford one thats why im only just starting to read up about them.
i usually buy a book on the specific creature and ask all the silly questions under the sun prior to getting it so i can prepare properly.i do it with every thing iv kept in the past.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah will do was thinking of one of them or a panther but just wanted to no which would be best to start with.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
if you want to get a cham get one dont be put of by people saying not to
as long as you do enough resarch on them and have evrything ready youll be fine even if you havent kept lizards before which you have newbies and experienced keepers are all in the same boat when getting a new species of lizard,
for a newbie chameleon a yemen like beliel said would be best they have nice colours and are quite hardy
just read lots of care sheets on them

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
panthers are just as good but more expensive and have different requirments..most people go for yemens because they take a little less care...still a lot though compared to a leo!:smile:

i have both and still prefer my yemens. in fact they are my favourite out of all the species i own..

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just reading some sheets on them now.the shop il be getting it from has
yemen
panther
3 horned
and another one which looks like its head is joined to its neck on its back like them funny looking helmets that protect the neck.

anyway there all adults apart from the yemen and all 150-300 depending on type but the yemen is 45 is that resonable i dont mind paying the shops prices mind as they always have well looked after stock etc.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
45 is about average..i sell mine for £30 (when i have them) but the shops sell for 60> even seen 90 in some places!!

wouldn't go for anything other than a panther or yemen though. the others just get harder...

3 horneds are a no no...not for a first cham.

The unkown one sounds like a flapneck..can be delicate and vicious to boot! but mostly to other chams...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
forgot to ask does anyone use them exo terra flexariums and waterfalls of foggers. as both the peices of equiptment have pics of chams on them. so do they work or just a gimic.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
waterfalls are pants..get full of bacteria
foggers are pants..emit cold fog not good for chams
flexariums are pants (but good for the summer!) not designed for yemens..the don't need it as cold as most other chams...would just build a wooden one...a lot easier..however i would say that if you keep your house pretty warm above 75F the flex can be pretty good...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats just saved me some money lol

think the temp will be warm enough as the room it will be in has a 3 stack viv running all day and night different temps for my snakes so overall temp is above 75 all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been keeping iguanas for ever and water dragons at one point, but keeping Chams is a whole different ball game. I did lots of research and even then i felt ill prepared. The only thing that was pulling through could be my previous experiences but thats very little to do with it. So if you have never kept one before do as much research as possible, trust me you will need it.
I love Chams and i got him because someone online couldnt keep it anymore and it didnt even have a UV light when i got him and lots of other problems. He is better now but let me tell you without this forum and Belial in particular that Cham might not have made it:

So THANK YOU :no1:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
just off topic gaz when did you live in cyprus? i used to live there and go school there. just curious :smile:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
I had a flexarium for my cham, it came with him as it was from a forum member who couldnt keep her reptiles anymore due to moving abroad. He would never eat in front of me and was quite agressive and i was really worried about him even though it was clear he was eating.
A few month ago I got a wooden vivarium off a different forum member that used to house a juvenile iggy and my chameleon has never been happier. He eats in front of me now and even off my hand, he isnt as stressed or as aggressive, though he does still headbutt from time to time.
I dont recommend flexariums at all unless like belial said, to use outdoors. Get a wooden vivarium, you wont regret it and they arent that much dearer if u look in the right places.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
regarding the flexarium. simple dont! its hard enough trying to hold a high humidity in a wooden cage let alone a flexarium and for that reason there a bad idea unless you live some where very warm and moist!

the only time you'll see a cham in very pretty colours is when you try and mate them. my carpet cham spends most the time in chocolate brown colours or shades of green depending on where its hunting in the cage. ive seen her go white at night which seems odd

i would recomend a carpet cham if you can get one as there smaller them a veiled cham and look nicer.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
regarding the flexarium. simple dont! its hard enough trying to hold a high humidity in a wooden cage let alone a flexarium and for that reason there a bad idea unless you live some where very warm and moist!

the only time you'll see a cham in very pretty colours is when you try and mate them. my carpet cham spends most the time in chocolate brown colours or shades of green depending on where its hunting in the cage. ive seen her go white at night which seems odd

i would recomend a carpet cham if you can get one as there smaller them a veiled cham and look nicer.
not being funny but it sounds like your cham may be slightly stressed if it's not going 'pretty' colours..carpets are always little stunners when happy, especially the females...they are great little chams..slightly harder to look after than yemens though so not totally suitable for beginners..

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
basky i lived over there in mid 90s for 4 years went to school there on an army base near larnaka cant spell exactly were it was lol.

so flexariums a waste then good job i found out now cos they can get pricey for just a bit of plastic and netting.

so just a normal wooden one then like what other lizards and snakes go in.what about the through air all the care sheets say they need thats why i thought the flexarium would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts