Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recieved a collard lizard as a late christmas gift and I was really annoyed at the condition that the shop had let it get to. Its rib cage was clearly visable and the top of its tail had no meat on it at all. I am giving it regular feeding but not too much about 1 cricket and 2 meal worms about 5 times a day. Hopefully it will improve its health. I will post pics soon. I would reall appreciate any extra advice anyone could offer me as i really want it to get better.

Liam

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Liam hun get him eating wax worms, thats the quickest thing to get the weight on him. I had one that came to me weighing 16g and 2 weeks later was up to 22g from what I remember. Someone told me that you will be able to SEE the weight going on him daily, it starts at the tip of the tail and works its way toward the hips. It's true, I actually COUNTED the kinks in his tail and saw that the bone showed less an less each day. If he is underweight he is going to need worming to ensure he CAN put the weight on. I personally beleive that a few shops dont appreciate that collareds are ravenous eaters, and that the stress of keeping males together can result in rapid weight loss. For the wormer just get him to the vet and ask for some granules or paste, my vet gives me granulated puppy wormer for my collareds. Careful with the mealworms too, try to feed him less mealies, or at least only the white ones that have recently shed their exo-skeleton.

Take some pics when he has settled in, and weigh him/measure him. It always helps to know the length vs weight, post it on here and Andy or I can tell you what you should be aiming for in weight based on his length (in inches pls, lol)

BTW Am i right in thinking he is eating 10 mealies and 5 crickets in total a day? Sounds like he still has an appetite, lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. And you are right in thinking that he is eating 5 criks and 10 mealies in a day. I am pretty shure that he will make a full recovery because he is very active and eating ok. thanks again for the help.

Liam

·
Registered
849 Posts
I cant talk specifically for collareds as I havn't kept them, but in general, most types of young lizards should not be kept on a particle substrate as it harbours bacteria like a litter bin and has a high risk of impaction.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Playsand is prolly ok.
I havent heard anything bad about that eco earth stuff, which im pretty sure is made from coconut husks... i think..its also the same stuff which is called bed o beast and a fewq other names..comes in brick form and u soak it in water... think its gona end up being fairly popular.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DeanandTrese i will look into the mentioned substrates.

I also remember what Lewb said about the particle substrates.

Thanks again
Liam

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh didnt see lewbs post, agreed for the young ones best to keep just on paper towels or repti carpet to be safe.
To be honest though i dont think theres a need to baby juvi reps to much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My oldest collard is about 10 months old and my new one is around 5 months but the shop keeper dident seem to know the answers to most of the questions I was asking. I think I will keep to the repti-turf for now just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The only thing with repti-turf is the fact that their favourite pastime is digging. Like GERBILS digging, lol. They dont seem to stop. I have kept all of mine of sand with no problems, most american and european breeders/hobbyists keep them on sand (BUT paper towels under 3 months old)

I have never ever seen impaction in collareds kept on playsand, and I know a fair few breeder in the states that use it too. I personally wouldnt use anything else but understand your reasons for the repti-turf. Mine dig hole after hole after hole, they love it. I'd feel like I were taking away their favourite toy if I had to change their substrate

·
Registered
213 Posts
liam can u post a pic of your young collared?because i'm not sure about the age of mine (gan said she is about 6months or under), and i wanted to "compare" bo´th of them...

as a substract i'm afraid that sand can cause impaction so i just will put sand when she get older!

·
Registered
213 Posts
liam can u post a pic of your young collared?because i'm not sure about the age of mine (gan said she is about 6months or under), and i wanted to "compare" bo´th of them...

as a substract i'm afraid that sand can cause impaction so i just will put sand when she get older!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts