Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

We just picked up our first two corns on the weekend (both are 6 weeks old), and have just had the first feeding attempt.

Little girl fed great, we put the defrosted pinkie (warmed up a little) in a cricket box and she went straight in and ate it.

When we came to doing the same thing for the little boy, he just wasn't interested. I thought perhaps the pinkie wasn't warm enough for him to be interested, so warmed it up again and we tried again, but he's just sat next to it, completely uninterested.

Do I give up for the evening and put him back in his tank, or should I put the cricket box with him and the pinkie in also, back in the tank? If I do that, will he be warm enough not being sat directly on the heat mat in his tank?

Hope the question makes sense :)

Thanks,

Em
(A very worried first time snake owner he he)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sometimes they need time to settle,leave it another couple of days without handling and try again,sometimes they wont eat if they are going to shed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd put him in the cricket tub, with half a toilet roll tube cut lengthways as a hide, with the pinky underneath. Then leave him in there overnight, in the viv with one end (about 2"-3" inches) over the mat.

I've got a little amel of about a month old - I put the pinky in her tub early evening but it's never gone before we go to bed (even if we go out and it's all quiet), she always takes it during the night.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
He'll be fine without water overnight - don't leave him in there for more than about 10-12 hours though, and make sure there's fresh water available as soon as he's out.

One other thing - might be an idea to do a 'dry run' for a few hours using an empty tub with a thermometer in there, just to make sure it won't overheat.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my corn always drinks immediatley after eating, so I wouldnt feed it without water being avaliable.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not too sure how true this is, but I was once told by someone (with a fair bit of experience) that if a hatchling drinks too much immediately after eating it increases the chance of a regurge - so this guy always removed the water for 24hrs after feeding hatchlings.

Not something I do myself - but a few hours without water won't do any harm if you've not got a bowl that'll fit in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts