Reptile Forums banner

Have you dealt with regurgitation in your snakes?

• Yes, its a headache

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Never

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Not a snake keeper

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a new snake (a 5yo Okeetee corn snake) to my growing collection. Unfortunately the previous owner knew nothing about snakes and fed her her the day I took her home :eek:mg: and was handling her during the exchange! I then waited ten days in order to feed her again and she readily accepted a FT adult mouse. Afterwards to my surprise over a week later while checking on her I discovered that not only had she shed but there was what I can only assume was regurgitate in her cold hide! The strangest part is that I had checked in on her earlier and there was no vomit whatsoever. I also had not handled her at all up until this point and of course she had been left completely alone to digest the days following her eating. She is currently being housed in her original habitation which is a large wooden enclosure with a glass bottom. It is heated with a thermostat and under tank heater and maintains a temperature gradient of 29.4-21C. She has access to two hides and a moist hide when she is in shed and also has a large water bowl. Does anyone have an idea of why she would vomit especially so long after eating? Any advice on how to proceed? Other than this she seems friendly and healthy.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
If that photo in your post is the "regurge" then it's not.
It's snake poo. :lol2:

Ironic really that you said the previous owner knew nothing about snakes but you can't tell the difference between a turd and a regurgitated rodent. As snakes swallow their prey whole, regurgitation means you see the prey again, albeit in different stages of decomposition.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you looked at the other photos in the gallery? I literally found a intact mouse kidney (I have taken college biology classes but I don't think I needed them to see that that's probably not digested). Also not that its very pertinent to the conversation, but though the previous owner was well meaning they said it themselves that they didn't know much. They were feeding her frozen solid food and providing no supplemental heat or hides...

https://postimg.cc/gallery/uhohozim/

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Irrespective of what you found, that was not regurgitated... it may be true that the snake has a digestive problem and given your comments about the previous owner not providing heat, then this could well be the cause the mouse was not fully digested, but all images show a typical cornsnake turd.

Most regurgitation of meals typically happen within the first 36 hours after first consuming the prey, and as such tend to resemble the complete animal, just at various stages of degradation through digestion, and do not resemble the examples shown in the images.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the assistance! Do you think it would be a good idea to put her off of feed for a couple weeks anyways just to be safe? When would you think a vet should become involved? (thank you so much for your help, I know I'm asking a lot of questions) : victory:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I would get the enclosure set up correctly, with the correct thermal gradient, then offer the snake a meal in 7-10 days

What you could do is take those stool samples to the vet and ask if they could check it for any bacterial infection, or parasitic infestation seeing you don't really know much about its 5 year history from the previous owner. It also goes without saying that the snake should be quarantined from the rest of your collection for now just to be on the safe side.

Keep the snake on white paper kitchen towel for now so you can see if there are any mites. Once you have the OK form the vets, and there are no signs of mites then you can set the enclosure up as per the this post

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/1205850-beginners-guide-cornsnakes-pantherophis-guttatus.html

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
They were feeding her frozen solid food and providing no supplemental heat or hides...
Now that's really unlikely. If it was, that snake would be dead.
In over 30 years of keeping and breeding snakes I have never heard of snakes eating food that was still frozen solid. They just will not touch it.
Even if one did, it would cause serious damage. The snake would struggle to swallow it because the food is a solid hard unpliable mass. With no heat, the frozen mouse will cause internal damage.
So I'm really not convinced by your assertion.
As for sifting through a snake turd to find an undigested mouse kidney???
Hmm.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's just hair. They often don't digest the hair and it comes out in the feces like that. I'm also extremely certain that is NOT a kidney. Ureters aren't that big, for a start and kidneys are extremely delicate organs and with the rest of the mouse digested it would not leave a single kidney untouched. It also plain doesn't look like a kidney and I say this a veterinary technician.

·
Registered
33,390 Posts
Have you looked at the other photos in the gallery? I literally found a intact mouse kidney (I have taken college biology classes but I don't think I needed them to see that that's probably not digested). Also not that its very pertinent to the conversation, but though the previous owner was well meaning they said it themselves that they didn't know much. They were feeding her frozen solid food and providing no supplemental heat or hides...

https://postimg.cc/gallery/uhohozim/
That's poop, not regurge. As Malc & Ian have said, a regurge would look like a whole mouse. & it would pong real horrible, & not like poop.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that's really unlikely. If it was, that snake would be dead.
In over 30 years of keeping and breeding snakes I have never heard of snakes eating food that was still frozen solid. They just will not touch it.
Even if one did, it would cause serious damage. The snake would struggle to swallow it because the food is a solid hard unpliable mass. With no heat, the frozen mouse will cause internal damage.
So I'm really not convinced by your assertion.
As for sifting through a snake turd to find an undigested mouse kidney???
Hmm.
Especially considering that I'm a new member I really don't appreciate the toxicity, I have absolutely no reason to lie about this matter and to assert as much is very rude. Of course I asked lots of questions about her husbandry and when I asked about what they were feeding her they said they take frozen mice hoppers out of the freezer and put them directly in a Tupperware with her. They even said and I quote "she eats them frozen no problem!" So regardless of your baseless assertion this is what was happening. I trust that you have much more experience than me in snake keeping but that doesn't affect the reality of this situation. And yes I'm sure it has been very detrimental to her health, this is why I came here for advice.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
Especially considering that I'm a new member I really don't appreciate the toxicity, I have absolutely no reason to lie about this matter and to assert as much is very rude. Of course I asked lots of questions about her husbandry and when I asked about what they were feeding her they said they take frozen mice hoppers out of the freezer and put them directly in a Tupperware with her. They even said and I quote "she eats them frozen no problem!" So regardless of your baseless assertion this is what was happening. I trust that you have much more experience than me in snake keeping but that doesn't affect the reality of this situation. And yes I'm sure it has been very detrimental to her health, this is why I came here for advice.
Then don't, in your opening post, state that the previous owner knew nothing about keeping snakes then demonstrate how little you know!!
I suspect you have also seriously misunderstood what was said. I cannot believe for one minute that for its first five years of live it was fed on frozen mice straight out of the freezer.
When you were told "she takes frozen fine" I can guarantee they meant that she will take frozen food but DEFROSTED. As opposed to taking live.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Especially considering that I'm a new member I really don't appreciate the toxicity,
But you did come over a tad arrogant stating you knew exactly what it was that you found and could identify the mouse kidney because you were experienced / trained in an related field, even after people who have been in this hobby for decades informed you that you were totally wrong in your diagnosis.

I have absolutely no reason to lie about this matter and to assert as much is very rude. Of course I asked lots of questions about her husbandry and when I asked about what they were feeding her they said they take frozen mice hoppers out of the freezer and put them directly in a Tupperware with her. They even said and I quote "she eats them frozen no problem!"
I don't think Ian accused you of being a liar. He was stating the obvious that a snake will find it difficult a solid frozen mouse, if indeed it ever got that far. It may have been the case that the previous owner deposited the item frozen in the viv, but it was hours later after the item had defrosted that the snake would take it. Again you are relaying information that is 3rd hand. You never witnessed this yourself so how do you know "its true" ?? - They could be feeding you a load of BS

So regardless of your baseless assertion this is what was happening.
It's not a baseless assertion.. He's basing it on decades of experience with snakes.

I trust that you have much more experience than me in snake keeping but that doesn't affect the reality of this situation. And yes I'm sure it has been very detrimental to her health, this is why I came here for advice.
And advice and opinions have been offered. The consensus from those that have been keeping snakes and have experienced regurgitation is that the images you uploaded was a normal defecation for a corn snake and not a regurgitated mouse. Based on your comments of how the food had been offered we all find that totally incomprehensible as it goes against the personal experiences and observations we have. It is also normal for a snake to regurgitate a meal that is "off", be that as its still part frozen or passed its best by date rather than consume it, digest it and pass it out.

The other thing that you won't be aware of is that this forum has its fair share of trolls recently, with posts that are so off the tracks that produces a response similar to the one you got after that comment about it eating a frozen mouse.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
So to summarize : your snake is not regurgitating its food and your pic clearly illustrates typical colubrid stool. Try not to become overly worried buddy.

I suggest ,to ease your mind , next feed offer a smaller item ,say a fuzzy or small jumper sized mouse. I expect once any underlying environmental issues ,if you have them are resolved you will not have any thing to worry about.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I'm tired of debating what the original owner and his spouse directly told me about the corn's care in an over an hour long conversation during the exchange. But I honestly thank you all so much for the experience and putting my mind at ease, I will proceed with her husbandry as I have been advised and I am excited to continue having the resource of this forum to help me further improve my knowledge and care. I hope that other new members of the forum are welcomed and given the same level of assistance and patience that I have been afforded. If there are any updates I will be sure to notify the community. :2thumb:

·
Registered
33,390 Posts
Okay, I'm tired of debating what the original owner and his spouse directly told me about the corn's care in an over an hour long conversation during the exchange. But I honestly thank you all so much for the experience and putting my mind at ease, I will proceed with her husbandry as I have been advised and I am excited to continue having the resource of this forum to help me further improve my knowledge and care. I hope that other new members of the forum are welcomed and given the same level of assistance and patience that I have been afforded. If there are any updates I will be sure to notify the community. :2thumb:
If the original owner told you the snake has been fed on mice that were still frozen, then they're talking total bullshit- as Malc & Ian correctly pointed out, that would kill it, even granting that the snake would even accept frozen solid mice in the first place.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
Well you did your own legs to be honest.
You have a five year old snake that apparently eats mouse lollies.
You've had advise, from very experienced and knowledgeable keepers.
Up to you, but hey, if you want to take a frozen mouse out the freezer and pop it in with your corn then fill your boots.
When your snake drops dead don't complain that you had bad advice.

·
Registered
33,390 Posts
Well you did your own legs to be honest.
You have a five year old snake that apparently eats mouse lollies.
You've had advise, from very experienced and knowledgeable keepers.
Up to you, but hey, if you want to take a frozen mouse out the freezer and pop it in with your corn then fill your boots.
When your snake drops dead don't complain that you had bad advice.
Tbf to the OP, he hasn't said he does that, nor that he intends to- only that that's what the original owner claimed they did. & the OP has admitted that was bad practice. But I call bullshit on the original owner's claim, as I'm sure you, Malc & I can all agree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts