Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My fiancee and I just bought a Gecko named Drop Dead Fred, I think at the pet store they called him a Gargoyle or crested. He is young, only about 4 or 5" long.

We have him in a mesh-covered fish tank, with a red light shining down on him, with a heating pad underneath. The room he is in is very cold - what can we do to keep him warm? We may even move him to a different room.

What should we be feeding him? Right now we are giving him babyfood apricot and peaches.

His tank floor is covered with that mossy looking stuff we bought at the store, and he has a big branch and a water dish.

Any advice would be great!

Thanx!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You can get powdered Gargoyle Gecko diet from places like Livefoods.co.uk, provides them with everything they need though you can supplement this with fruit baby food once a week and fresh fruit fruit, as well as some livefoods like crickets, locusts and occassionally waxworms.

Gargoyle geckos DO NOT like hot temperatures. The temperature should be no more than 85 degrees farenheit (if I remember rightly) so please check your temps. To get those temps you shouldn't need both a bulb and a heat mat, a heat mat, with a thermostat to control the temps, should be more than enough to keep it warm enough. Their temperatures can fall down to artound 50 degrees F though, so would probably be okay at room temperature unless your house is very cold.

Gargoyle geckos are aboreal and should be in a tank that is at least 2 foot tall with plenty of things for them to climb up on. He'll also want plenty of cover to provide him with shelter during the day.

This is a caresheet for the Crested gecko, the basic requirements are very similar - http://www.geckoworld.net/care_r.ciliatus.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts