Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have bought a new western hognose today, but he is really pissy. he stirkes (closed mouth) at the side of the tank (he is in a small plastic "viv", atm, because he is only 7 inches). when shold i start handling, and does anyone have any tips on how to calm him down, because he is obviosly stressed atm. 3/4 of the "viv" is covered, with cloth, and he has a good gradient, and hide (which he sits on top of), and every time he sees me, he hisses etc, and i am worried that he is getting iverly stressed, what with the move, and thehating me lol

any advice greatly appriciated.

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
sorry to hear about your wee hoggie i would try leaving him for a few days let him settle in and get used to his new home......he should calm down pretty soon,i know mine was ok after a day or so and fed no problems first time of asking...as for the stricking a lot of that is just show would imagine that he will calm down once he gets over the stress of the move :wink:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, he was in a little plastic viv, as mentioned, and i bought this with him for £8, sohe hasnt actually moved house yet lol, but the travelling (on bus, and train) didnt help, although he did have heat from a 24hr pack (currently on my sore knee lol). obvoiusly the move would have stressed him. i am not sure, whever he is just a pissy snake, or if it is from the move, but either way,he WILL be handled, and he WILL play nice... how long should i leave him for. i usually leave for 2/3days, but he is really pissed atm. but i dont want to leave it too long because he will then get used to not being handled in his new place... i am thinking around 5 days/ a week? what y]would youdao, also tips on gaining his trust please :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
same here

same here as i got one 2 days a go and he was just left in is tank with his dead skin and his poo sot him home and put him a new viv as the one he came in was crack he had be without food for about 5/6 mouths the poor thing feed him a small mouse before and he wolfed it down but having the same proplem as you will try a few thing eg with glove let him stike at that them after a few days leave somthing in the viv with my sent on it so he gets use to it then pick it up without the glove but will have to wait a few day like you as only got it 2 days ago i got told to leave them for a week as they need to get use to the new sourounding so will keep you posted on how i get on and same to you keep me posted if you get any good tip or how you get on with it

·
Registered
201 Posts
can't offer any advice but friend of mine had a v young hoggy and you so much as breathed within two foot of his tank and he got all super pissy. was funny in a strange way such tremendous attitude from a tiny little snake.:eek:oo:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It's best to leave new snakes for at least a week before attempting to handle, and get that first meal into them then wait 48 hours before handling.

Hoggies are normally very docile little creatures and will be a joy to have. I have an adult female but will soon be getting a male companion for her :)

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Just leave it be for a while. I had an adult male who never really liked being bothered but was ok once in hand. It's funny though when they hiss like a steam train. Cute is an odd way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts