Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got hold of my new Iggy today!! apart from being in the middle of a shed its happy and enjoying its new home:)

I will get some more pics tomorrow but its now asleep on the UV tube of all places.

P.S Its hand tame already Rob:Na_Na_Na_Na::lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Ah nice dude.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Aww!: victory: How old and does he/she have a name?
Ben

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah damn proud! Im just running around making sure everything is ok. doing some research into some more live plants at the moment as He loves his Yucca. He was a right little git this morning but after an hour of watching me hes calmed right down and lets he handle him so thats cool.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
did you get him locally?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL Woop! Cheers guys!

Dean I got him from Rob at Scales and Fangs this morning.: victory: Should have picked him up last week but the viv went sooooo wrong it had to be done again...and it still needs fixing:(

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lol oh dear, i know the feeling.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The viv is 8x7 and Hes only about 8 inches long so im only using the floor space with a few live plants and wood etc to give him some hight. I was amazed at his climbing skills! hes giving my CWD a run for its money:lol2:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
8x7? wow thats a big viv for a baby iggy lol.
He will grown into it.
Best thing with big vivs...thermogradient...
you could stick a MVB and another couple basking lights in there and not have to worry about temps whilst the lights stay nice and bright and undimmed.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Your not wrong mate, I have never tried heating a viv this big before and im getting some mad results.

I created a hot end of 88 with a basking spot of 93 so the cooler end dropped to 73 so I wasn't to worried. The crazy thing came when I misted it, The hot end humidity stayed at around 70% for an hour but slowly dropped to about 50% but the cool end stayed at 90% for the whole day! the cold end is about 2.5ft long so a big space.

At the moment im using a 250watt ceramic light thats positioned about 2/3 of the way down on one side, I was thinking about moving it to the top of the viv and leaving it on all day to create a nice ambient temp and then using a couple of 100watt spot as a basking but like you said it would go on and off.

I guess I could use a spot at the top to create the ambient temps then use the ceramic for the basking spot? what ya think

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
id always go for spot lights for a basking and ceramic for ambient.

The bottom of the viv will stay cool, theres where your safety area is, dont try to do anything to directly heat the bottom.
Id focus the heat at one end where possible.
by making sure theres branches or whatever reletaively directly under [in line with but at a distance] the ceramic also yourl get soem good mid range temps with the reflector bulbs aiming at a hot spot.

93 is a bit cool I think ,you should be able to bump that up to the higher 90's or 100 or so by [time to heat up and] widening the build up of furnishings around the bask.

Are you using a normal uv tube?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah good advice mate I will give it ago over the next few days, the UV is 40w reptiglow 10....unless you ask the iggy then its a bed?

I will up the temps tomorrow like you said and when hes a bit bigger I can start to use the vivs size to help heat it. Im only using the bottom half of the viv so far as hes so small so the lights are a lot lower down. Eventually I can raise them so he can thermoregulate himself by going lower and further away etc.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Cool, I should be gettin a couple of baby green iggys off exopet, they are ordered but not in yet, im gona start them in a 4x3x3 as I have the same for my fijis so i can really easily set the viv up basically the same with no hesitation lol.

I understand what your doin with the bottom of the viv, i have a 4x6x3 [lhd] with no doors which i currently have a single beardie living in, bottom only with a tube and lamp hung above, whilst i finish the smaler vivs.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I wish I had used a smaller viv tbh looking back on it. and your getting 2 baby greens! thats gonna be madness but in a great way lol. all you need now is a giant tort! like a sully lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts