Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kratos, the destroyer of crickets (AKA. Squishy)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I researched as much as I could before getting my Leopard Gecko, Kratos. I'll refer to him as "he"/"him" for now as he's too young to accurately sex.

I want to make sure that he's happy and content. That is my primary goal. I am an experienced pet owner (Dogs, Hamsters, Mice, Rabbits and Chinchillas) but this is my first reptile. I have tried to answer specific question via Google, but if you ask Google a yes/no question you will still get 20 different answers.

My concerns are around general health and familiarisation.

Health:
He spends days in his moist hide and nights (as much as I have observed) in his warm hide apart from when he is out getting food. I'm concerned my heating and/or lighting are inadequate and maybe he just doesn't have the energy he needs.
His shedding started fine. His last couple of sheds he has had very small areas that did not detach with the rest. One I had to get via moist cotton buds and tweezers. There is a small area around his nose and mouth now that I cannot get as he seems very skittish, which brings me to point 2.

Familiarisation:
He won't stay near me enough to be able to help him. I have tried talking quietly to him regularly, standing with my hand near him and not moving (so he can get used to me), leaving him alone when I first got him. He seems to go through phases but he seems more nervous to me now than not.

Kratos' Home

Plant Vertebrate Green Flower Wood

Vivexotic medium Repti-Home Vivarium (86cm x 37cm x 42cm)

Repltile Carpet on base

Heated with Heat mat that covers 1/3 of the base area (right hand side of viv)

UVB light at top right rear of viv. On during daylight hours for the most part

Main components (left to right):
Cold hide
Wooden branch decoration for "cover"
Moist hide (live moss inside)
Plastic plant for "cover" and to obstruct probe wires
Warm hide (half wood pipe over the heat mat) (temp controlled by probes here. Temp probe shows between 30 Celsius and 33.5 Celsius)
Plastic plant for "cover"

At front (left to right, not including hide and "plant")
Water dish (bottled water)
Container of broken up Coco Coir Fibre Brick for digging/enrichment
Container with multi-vitamin enriched calcium powder

I had the plants and branch as I read that too much exposure was uncomfortable for them.

The humidity is usually between 45% and 55% (probe on the ceiling of the viv, above and to the left of the moist hide)

Diet: Mixture of Black Crickets and Standard Meal Worms. Fed every day for now (Kratos is currently 7 - 8 months old) He does get an occasional Wax worm. The crickets are put in by a transfer tube (to allow him to go after them and because I won't touch them). The worms are hand fed to him.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Firstly I would say the vivarium needs more cover, then you will see him more as he will feel safer. The best hides for them are lots of flat pieces of cork bark, leopard geckos like their back to touch what they are hiding under.

Get rid of the repti carpet and swap to some sandy soil.

Don't offer mealworms too frequently, they aren't a very good food source.

You haven't said how long you have had him, but I would imagine he is just still settling in. Geckos are small nervous animals, especially when young.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I will use the Coco Coir brick I have and switch to that from the carpet. I'll also get more and varied cover.

Do you have any light recommendations? Should I look at DHP or standard basking lights? I don't want to sound too dense, I just want to ensure he has what he needs and wants to be OK.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks guys,

I will use the Coco Coir brick I have and switch to that from the carpet. I'll also get more and varied cover.

Do you have any light recommendations? Should I look at DHP or standard basking lights? I don't want to sound too dense, I just want to ensure he has what he needs and wants to be OK.
Might be worth mixing in some sand and top soil with the coir.

·
Registered
Corn Snakes, Harley, Noodle, Ruby / Leopard Gecko, Thor / Royal Python, Odin
203 Posts
ProRep Leo Life substrate is great once it has dried out, as others have said remove the mat a DHP or Halogen bulb will do a much better job at providing a gradient, as for behaviour for the most part you won't see your leo during the day maybe they will poke their tails, legs or head out now and again to soak up some of that uvb I only ever really see my little guy out on a night time when the lights go out and the DHP has turned off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, so I have added more cover (though I think I went too far). The things are placed around the side for the most part and hang over so it looks less spacious than it is.

I've changed the substrate. I need to take it out and dry it off more thoroughly as the humidity is hitting 90%! I've opened a side of the Viv and netted it off to reduce the humidity for the night (opposite side of the pic). I'm not sure I trust the reading and will pick up a new sensor tomorrow, but for now I'll not take the chance.

I have put in the fitting for the basking light but the bulb didn't come with it (because the whole bloody world is against me and Kratos ;) ). I'll pick up a bulb tomorrow. Also, the basking spot is temporary while I sort out something more permanent.

Plant Leaf vegetable Fines herbes Ingredient Wood

Plant Green Water Leaf vegetable Fines herbes

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi, no such thing as too much cover, it looks fine, although if the half "log" is supposed to be a hide it`s much too big, use something the lizard can squeeze into (obviously not too tightly).
You also need an IR Temp-gun to measure the basking surface temp, note that the probe is reading the ambient (air) temp even if you place it directly on the surface.
I take it the plants are plastic?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts